GeoPoint field zooming on scroll

New here, so please excuse my n00bness. I've set up some GeoPoint fields, and they seem to work well, however, the issues I'm seeing/having is if the Author accidentally scrolls over the map preview, it changes the lat/long values (I assume it's zooming in/out on the map?).

Also, if it's a business address, its it possible to pass that data along as well, rather than it just scrubbing lat/long values? Trying to set this up as an interactive map with the option to get directions to a geopoint/business/landmark location.

Hey Ryan!

Cool to see you join the community forum, It is true that the Geopoint changes the geolocation coordinates if you zoom in/out. This is the current normal behaviour of the field,

You can also paste a google maps URL and the field will recognize the lat/long values from it. It doesn't recognise and actual address, so you just need to, first look for the address in google and then paste the url in the field.

I'm. going to add this as an open feature request so that we can track it for future improvements.

If you need help with anything else let us know!
Thanks

You

@paulina.gavilan Google maps sometimes does a Press ctrl + scroll to zoom thing, which you could use? :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @paulina.gavilan!

Thanks for the quick response! I understand that it's a 'normal' behavior, however it seems like the scroll behavior should be disabled in the editor, as if an author is scrolling past the field it will, when the cursor passes over the map, zoom the set value. The map has plus and minus controls already, and I believe it's common web UI pattern/practice to disable the 'zoom on scroll' behavior for maps by default. I may end up turning this feature off on my project to prevent authors from accidentally changing the map values.

1 Like

@marcellothearcane Im not sure how that google feat works, do you know any docs that could help us clarify this?

@ryand.labar I totally understand that it's not ideal. As for right now, there isn't a lot that we can do to change this. But I made sure to make the product team aware of this so they can review and make a decision about it

@paulina.gavilan @marcellothearcane: Here's the link to google maps docs for controlling scroll behavior: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/interaction

2 Likes