Unable to Query Newly Published Prismic Data in Next.js App

I developed and operated a website using Next.js and the Apollo client to retrieve data from Prismic's GraphQL API.

A few days ago, the application was unable to retrieve newly registered and published data from Prismic.

The data can be queried successfully in the GraphQL sandbox, but null values are returned when executing the same query in the application. Additionally, when retrieving lists using a query such as all~, any newly registered data from the past few days is missing from the results.

There have been no changes made to the application code, and the access token being used has master and release permissions. And I have a Medium Plan license.

I am unsure of the root cause of this issue and am having trouble determining why new data cannot be queried, despite being successfully published to Prismic.

I am seeking guidance regarding this issue and welcome any advice or insights you may have on potential causes or solutions. Please let me know if you need any additional details to diagnose the problem.

Hi @nakane ,

Welcome to the community :slight_smile:

There could be several reasons why this is happening. Since you can query the data successfully in the GraphQL sandbox but not in your application, and given that you haven't changed your application code, the problem likely lies in the interaction between your application and Prismic's API. Here are several areas to investigate:

1. Caching Issues:
  • Apollo Client uses a cache to store the results of its queries. If the cache isn't updated correctly, it might not reflect the latest data from Prismic. Check your Apollo Client cache configuration and consider manually clearing the cache to see if the issue resolves.
  • Next.js on vercel has been facing cache issue, so please check this thread:
    Caching issue with Next.js App Router - Vercel Deployment
  1. Network Issues:
  • There might be network issues that are preventing the updated data from being fetched. Check if there are any CORS or network configuration issues that could be affecting data retrieval.
  1. Error Logs and Debugging:
  • Check the error logs in your application.
  • Use Apollo Client’s debugging tools to inspect the queries and responses to see if there are any discrepancies.
  1. Environment-Specific Configurations:
  • Sometimes issues can be specific to the environment in which your application is running. Ensure that all environment-specific configurations (like environment variables) are set correctly.

Given these possibilities, a systematic approach to debugging is recommended. Start by checking the most straightforward issues like cache clearing.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Phil ,
Thanks for your kind reply :blush:

I understood that the problem is between Next.js and the Apollo client.

I also understood that the behavior is that the Route Segment Config in Next.js overrides the cache policy in the Apollo client, so non-cached data is not retrieved.

I can only hope that the Next.js developers will come out with a version that fixes this, but in the meantime I decided to work around the problem by adding export const revalidate = 0; to the layout.ts on the app root.

Thanks

1 Like

I'm glad to hear you found a workaround. Yes, I hope Vercel and Next.js solve this soon too :slight_smile: