Unable to style child elements of <prismic-rich-text> component

I have a "Text Slice" component that is meant to render rich text being queried from Prismic and delivered to said component as props, which are then passed to <prismic-rich-text>. Like so:

<template>
  <div>
    <prismic-rich-text
      class="content-section"
      :class="'text-' + slice.slice_label"
      :field="slice.primary.rich_text"
      :htmlSerializer="anotherHtmlSerializer"
    />
  </div>
</template>

Using an Html Serializer I am adding classes to the child elements of the <prismic-rich-text> component. I have tried registering the serializer outside of the export statement (per the docs) as well as from within the mounted() lifestyle hook using the this.$nextTick() global function. As shown below:

<script>
import prismicDOM from 'prismic-dom'

const Elements = prismicDOM.RichText.Elements

const anotherHtmlSerializer = function (type, element, content, children) {
  if (type === Elements.paragraph) {
    return `<p class="test-paragraph">${children.join('')}</p>`
  }
  return null
}
export default {
  name: 'TextSlice',
  props: ['slice'],

data() {
    return {
      anotherHtmlSerializer,
    }
  },......

as well as:

data() {
    return {
      anotherHtmlSerializer: null,
    }
  },
  mounted() {
    this.$nextTick(() => {
      const Elements = prismicDOM.RichText.Elements
      this.anotherHtmlSerializer = function (type, element, content, children) {
        if (type === Elements.paragraph) {
          return `<p class="test-paragraph">${children.join('')}</p>`
        }
        return null
      }
    })
  },

I have verified in the browser's Dev Tools that the classes from the serializer are indeed being added to the child elements. However any styles I apply to those classes are not loading, which I have verified by comparing the "Style Editor" tab to what is shown in the Inspector within Dev Tools. Furthermore, I have found that styles applied to children of the <prismic-rich-text> using html tags also do not render.

Any elements outside of the <prismic-rich-text> component style as expected.

I appreciate any advice or guidance on this issue. I'm kind of at standstill. Thanks!

Hey Erik,

Welcome to the Prismic community, and thanks for posting this question! :handshake: :slightly_smiling_face:

Okay, I'm wondering if this could be an issue with scoped CSS. If that's the case, you want to use a deep selector, like /deep/, >>>, or ::v-deep:

/* 
I'm not sure if the 'content-section' class will work.
You might need to apply a class to the parent element,
so I used .rich-text
*/
.rich-text /deep/ .text-paragraph {
  background: purple;
}

Let me know if that works! If not, could you send your project as a zip file or GitHub repo, so I can try to recreate the issue?

Sam

1 Like

That worked! Thank you very much.

So glad it was an easy fix. Again, much appreciated.

Awesome! Glad to hear it. Let me know if you need anything else :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.