Bulk delete articles / documents

Is there a way to bulk delete articles?

Once you have multiple languages, deleting content can get really time consuming.

Say we have 10 languages, and 10 articles we want to delete. This would require hundreds of clicks, as each article in each language would need to be opened, archived, then opened again, then deleted!

This also applies to tags, as trying to find out where a tag is being used in a multi locale environment can be extraordinarily difficult. I think having the ability to delete tags would be awesome!

7 Likes

Unfortunately it isn’t possible to bulk delete documents in Prismic. You will need to delete them one at a time as described in this article:

Archive or delete a document from your repository

​This is something that I would also love to see, so I will let the @features-team know about this and we will add this to our feature request tracker as a possible improvement for the future. We don’t have any plans to work on this right now, but we will let you know here if that changes at any point.

1 Like

Hey @Levi thanks for looking into it.

Hi & salut tout le monde!

I really would like to be able to delete #TAGS too, in easier, simpler way.

I made multi-locale pages from English with many tags, all the tags have of course transferred to the new languages. And now to remove a single tag that is no longer used I must go and do it over 25 languages, plus, 5 pages per language, so on and so forth.

I really need this capability.

Thank you so much in advance for your consideration.

Hi Keurim,

I agree this is also a really good use case for Bulk editing options, I’ve added this to the tracker as another use case.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Hi, I know we cannot bulk delete all documents of a certain type, but what happens if we disable the type or rename the type ? Does that put those documents into some sort of bucket that can then be deleted ? Thanks,

Hey,

Unfortunately this does not work as a workaround, you actually get a warning about this if you try to do so.

The reason for this is to stop accidental changes in the custom type builder causing breaking changes on live websites and loss of data in the API.

When documents are published to the API they are independent of changes made in the custom types until the documents are re-published.

This issue has been closed due to inactivity.

Hey guys, thanks for this valuable feedback concerning Bulk actions in Documents list!

:nerd_face:I am reaching out to invite you to our concept testing:
The product team at Prismic is working on implementing bulk actions feature in the document list screen.
We’d love to understand your use case and get your feedback on few screens, in order to design this feature the best way possible for you.

:memo:We are currently scheduling participants for these video feedback sessions. If you’re interested, please complete this short questionnaire so we can learn a bit more about you, and then go and book a slot to talk to us.

We will be kicking off our sessions next week. The session will be run through Google Hangouts and will take around 60 minutes to complete. As a thank you for your time, we'll provide you with an $25 USD gift card.

What to expect during the session:

• We will show you some design concepts around bulk actions in document list.
  • You’ll share your screen with us and talk us through how you’d expect to use the concepts.
  • We’ll also ask you some questions based on the concepts and your particular case study.

Let me know if you have any questions

Hello, is there any update on this topic? Or an estimation about when this feature will become available?
I'm asking because I need to bulk delete thousands of archived documents. This is blocking me as I need to delete them to be able to import the correct translation documents

Hi Victor,

The bulk actions feature is still only in the research phase so we haven't begun development of this feature yet.

For importing, I believe the only possible way an import would be blocked by an archived document is if it’s a singleton. Though I would need to test this to be certain. Otherwise it will just make another version of the document in the import release.

Are you seeing the behaviour where you can't publish a release because of duplicate UID's?

Hey Phil,

Victor is correct, and we just experienced this ourselves. We had to individually delete over 500 docs from the Archived area which took hours.

The import tool will not let you import translated docs if the doc exists in the trash / archived area. This is a major design flaw and should be fixed.

How come there is the ability to bulk delete a release, but not the trash? This seems like a design oversight, and something that should be fixed
as a priority over slices etc.

Thanks!

Hi Tim,

I agree this isn't great and I would also like to see it improved.

We are actually working on bulk actions and have rolled out a BETA that people are welcome to message the Activations team to try.

Although this BETA does not include bulk delete from the archived section, it's something I would really like to see and I've passed your concern to the team in charge of that feature. While it's not something that's being worked on right now, it is something they're considering for the next round of changes for bulk actions.

If/when I have any update on this topic I'll update you here.

Thanks.

Thanks @Phil,

Thats awesome, I didn't realise the bulk feature had made it into BETA. I'll go and get involved with testing shortly.

And fingers crossed the dev team can find a way to incorporate the deleting into the bulk BETA next round. That would really be a massive win.

Have a great week :smiley:

Tim

1 Like

Let me know when you want to test what beta bulk actions we have already and I'll try and get it activated for you.

Have a great week too :slight_smile:

Update Wed Oct 3rd

We release in new Beta version of Bulk actions

You can now bulk delete documents in the "Archived" section. And "bulk publish" and "bulk archive" features while being in the "Planned" tab.

Send us your repo URL via dm if you'd like to have this feature activated in your repo.

Update 2022: This feature is now active for all repositories.

1 Like