Edit legacy slices for a project that's build in Gatsby (for which the slice machine is not available)

My repository is setup for an older Gatsby project. Currently we don't have any possibility to update to NextJS or Nuxt. We need now to add one of the existing slices and to add an additional field.

Recently prismic changes something so that editing existing slices (created using the legacy editor) is not possible anymore. Neither creating new slices is possible anymore.

Please give me a solution as I am currently blocked.

Hi @tudor2004 ,

It seems as though you are painted into a corner. You have constraints on both sides of this equation. I haven't been able to find any announcements about the legacy type builder and being unable to change slices. Of course, while I was searching, I came across this post by Angelo.

As someone who's moved at least 3 sites from Gatsby to Next and Prismic, I can tell you that it sure is work, but it was absolutely worth it in the end.

I'm sorry I don't have more that I can offer.

-Neil

Hi Dan,

Can you give me more detail about what you mean here?

It's still possible to use the legacy editor and create Slices for Gatsby.

Sure, I am attaching a photo maybe I can explain better:

What I am aiming to do is to add an additional field, similar to the "Disclaimer Message".

But I can't find anywhere the option to edit an existing slice. Nor where I can add a new slice type.

It's still possible to use the legacy editor and create Slices for Gatsby.

Can you please tell me how?

Also, using the legacy editor, I don't have the option to create a new slice....

Ahh... never mind. I need to edit it from the "Custom Types" section in Prismic.

1 Like