In-page Anchors

I wish Prismic's product team realises that we care 10 times more about the dashboard and API features than Slice Machine. However, it looks like that over the last two-three years the main focus has been on the latter :frowning:

4 Likes

Hello Priyanka -

We are hopeful that this feature request is moving up in priority in your queue, as it really is an important feature for many customers, us included, as developing workarounds is time-consuming.

Hello, I have passed the request to the team. You can always track our page for updates: What's new - Prismic

Once again, as the various contributors to this thread over the past 3 years have said, this is critical and expected functionality for links on the web.

I wish the CEO and CPO were active in this forum. Is there a discord channel where we can communicate with them instead?

I'm just not sure if threads like this are being seen by the decision makers within the company, which means that they might not be focusing on the right thing for the customers/developers who use the product.

For example, I've had numerous calls over the last 2 years with the Prismic team to talk about Slice Machine, but they never invited me to chat about the API features/writing room experience. I want to see Prismic succeed, so it's important to point out just how important features like this (and ones in other threads) are for the success of Prismic!

3 Likes

Hello @kris and everyone else

I'm Renaud, Head of Product at Prismic.

First, i wanted to thank you for your commitment to make us succeed and testify of all the work that you've made in the past to help us being better. I can only be grateful for that.

It is true that we've dedicated a lot of work in the past year to make Slice Machine better and it was our top priority. For that we've spend a lot of time with our Users trying to understand their pain points and fix them one by one. Our actual pace of release on that product can testify on the investment and progress on that front.

This is only the visible part of the work that we've done last year. In the meantime our Product & Engineering team, structured and grew in order to address other product areas that we didn't want to touch previously. We chose not to iterate on them until we had clear dedicated team that could own those properties. We wanted to get capacity and ownership in order to iterate fast on them and on a stable manner, not through a set of unlinked/one-shot initiatives. Basically we wanted all teams to operate the same way as we do in Slice Machine.

This is now the case, and we are now working on some of those items. You should hear more progress on those front in the next weeks/month.

I cannot promise that Anchor Links will be the first item that will be delivered though. What i can commit to is to continued, rapid and incremental changes in Slice Machine and in other areas of the product. (Anchor links being one of them)

I thank you again for your patience and will ask you to stay tuned by following our progress page or joining our next meetups.

We should reveal some of those upcoming changes in the next weeks/month.

Cheers,

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed reply @renaud. I really look forward which features/bug fixes you'd tackle and publish over the coming weeks. I just checked the progress page but I can only see Slice Machine related items - hopefully you will update it with items related to the writing room/API improvements.

What are the first items we can expect the newly formed team will tackle in the first sprint?

I've read in other threads over the last year that updates to the writing room will only come once the new editor is built and launched. From your message above, I understand that this stance has changed. Could you confirm that this is the case?

Chiming in at a late point in this thread, but I appreciate the transparency in priorities @renaud . While working on a Prismic project for a client migrating off of WordPress, a client brought this up to me for their website.

It's not a dealbreaker for me, since I only need to use an absolute URL once, and I don't intend to migrate my client off of Prismic before they've had ample time to use it.

That being said, my curiosity echoes that of @kris -- is there a general timeframe or road-map for updates regarding these HTML-esque features, and their integration into the editing experience? I'm mainly curious as I start thinking about updates and refactors, in addition to potentially enabling more features.

Hey @renaud, Happy Easter! I just wanted to follow up on the above. In you message from last month, you mentioned that some of the upcoming changes will be revealed in the coming weeks/month, but I just checked the progress page and unfortunately, I can only see Slice Machine related items. I also joined the latest product meetup, but the team didn't announce any changes to other areas of the product besides Slice Machine.

1 Like

Hey @kris & @harry.mardirossian13

We are working currently on the communication around those topics. It's been a long time that you and other people are waiting for this, so we want to get it right. :smile:

The progress page will be updated next week presenting the scope of the first release.
This is a first big step in the direction of supporting Anchor Links, HTMLesque features (as @harry.mardirossian13 call them :grin:) and to other areas of the editing experience.

We'll uncover only the scope of the first release in that communication. We will then have follow up communications on a recurrent basis over the quarter and through the year. A lot will change

I'm very excited by this first release and by all the opportunities that it will open to Prismic Users over the following months.

We might talk about it quickly this evening during the meetup even though it will not be at the center of the talk. If you want to chat about it don't hesitate to show up and ask your questions there.

Cheers

2 Likes

I've made a lot of nice projects on Prismic <3 and like using it, yet it is disappointing this simple feature is still not available after 3 years.

It currently ranks as the top-most "Feature" categorized post on this forum, with 6.3K views.

3 Likes

@renaud At present we are evaluating Prismic and this is 100% a deal-breaker for us. We build landing pages for marketing and need the CTA buttons to scroll to a page region with the pricing.

The sad part is that all you would have to do to support pretty much everyone whose posts I'm reading here is just NOT automatically pre-pend 'https://' to whatever was typed in the box IF the thing typed in the box starts with "#".

You may have all sorts of great ideas for fancy features that support common use cases in a more robust way. That's great - and those may be quite challenging to implement. But what could possibly be preventing you from making this - clearly NON-breaking - change?

Any editor who is sticking a # in the box as the first characters either knows what they're trying to do or is already ending up with broken links (like "https://#my-section-below").

Anyone coding in web frameworks can surely figure out how to handle those links if the users put those links in the box. If the code just shoves it in there as <a href="#whatever">, the browser knows what to do.

Either the coders are automatically adding ids to their <section> or heading tags while iterating slices, or else there is a field added to the content model of the slices that the coders use to create one.

Without one of these, the editors will never have a reason to add a link that just starts with #.

Please be honest - how many story points would it take to just not automatically add https:// if it starts with #?

2 Likes

Really need this as well on my project, I can add the full URL to the page but that is not good when we don't have a staging server.

Hey Everyone,

I'm happy to tell you that you will be able to do anchor links and will not be forced to append https:// in the new page builder, which is now in Alpha. :slight_smile: :tada:

Once the new builder is fully released, it will give us the flexibility to quickly iterate and add new features based on feedback from users like you.

You can read about the page builder in the link below.

BUT PLEASE BE WARNED:
The page builder is still in ALPHA, so there are some features that are not ready (PLEASE CHECK THE LIST).

Join the waitlist to try Prismic's new Page Builder to edit your website.

3 Likes

Thank you for this update Phil.
We're excited for the new page builder!

1 Like

@Phil The new page builder is great! Happy that the forced 'https://' prefix is removed.
I was writing some docs for our website and wanted to add a link to an anchor in a different page. I ended up linking to a document instead because I don't want to add the exact URL to the link.
A neat feature for linking to a document would be the possibility of adding an anchor to the link. This way the URL can be resolved with the document, but it still add an anchor to it.
This would probably have quite an impact, but it would be a great way to keep the page URL dynamic but also link to an anchor.

1 Like

That's a cool idea and definitely having internal anchor links is something we're considering once the alpha page builder has feature parity. It's just not something we're working on right now.

Hey, I have a use case for anchor linking.

I need to link to a Prismic document but also I want to append an anchor tag that will scroll to a specific element in that document (page). Is this possible with new page editor? If not, how can I go about it?

Hi David,

You should be able to do this in the new editor, but that involves using a relative link like:
/document#title

Although you will lost link validation, so it's not ideal.

The team will come back to ideas like this in the coming months, but there are no changes for now.

Thanks/