Ability to sync from Prismic dashboard to Slicemachine

Feature Idea (one per thread):

Currently, Slicemachine can push to Prismic Dashboard but it only syncs in one direction. There should be an ability for Slicemachine to pull the latest from Prismic.

Issue that it solves:

1. Since you can create, for example, a custom document type in either Slicemachine or the dashboard, this can lead to a mismatch or confusion in a team (i.e. "Developer B made this document type and I need to add a new field--but do I need to do that in Slicemachine or the dashboard?"
  2. New Prismic repos now require all custom types to be made in Slicemachine--so older repos aren't able to migrate to this workflow since it would require redoing all tables, recreating all data records, and possibly broken code.

Screenshot or video of the issue (if applicable):

1 Like

Hello @dhayes

Thanks for your valuable feedback. At the moment, our SM team is mainly focusing on the SM builder from where you can push slices from Slice Machine to the Prismic. It is primarily designed for the developer workflow.
Although I agree with your suggested features, I'll pass this feature to my @features-team to consider.

Thanks,
Priyanka

1 Like

@Priyanka

Has this issue been resolved with the recent slicemachine updates?

It's cumbersome to have more than one developer building out slices simultaneously.

Developer A would make Slice X and push it.
Developer B would make Custom Type Y

On B's dashboard, they would see that "Slice X is deleted". This is because it doesn't exist locally for B. Aside from manually dropping in the file, a way to pull from the current prismic repo would be very helpful.

Hello Michael, thanks for sharing your use case.

We understand that having a repository with access to both builders (Slice Machine and the Legacy Builder) can confuse the development process. This is how the repositories managed the development of Slice Machine. All newly created repositories had access to both builders in the early stages. A few new ones included a switch between them; now, new repositories can only access Slice Machine.

The issue you're experiencing can be fixed by managing the repository changes with GitHub. Slice Machine was created to work along with git as the version manager. So this involves teams getting a lot of communication so there aren't breaking changes.

1 Like