Add help text or better description functionality

Feature Idea (one per thread):

I'd love to have the possibility to add some helper text / fields for the CMS admins that are not editable. Usually things should be as clear as possible with naming things, but from time to time it can be helpful to provide a little guide or info section for the client. I am currently adding a little text to the field name itself (stupid example — "Hero Headline (Please note — The headline at the top)", but as the name appearance is very subtle, the help text is not very well visible.

I like the way Craft (or Sanity) handles that. Especially the "UI elements" provided by Craft are pretty useful.

Use Cases:

I can think of multiple use cases, e.g.

• Think of a page description for meta / seo purposes, one could add a short info on how to best write good titles or descriptions.
  • I've recently had a form section. I made a global default setup and a customizable per page setup. I wanted to add some instructions so clients are aware it falls back to the globally defined settings when nothing is applied within a single page template.
  • Add a small note that clients need to add an alt text
  • With a current project the designer came up with a different layout for some modules, so I had to add some information that the layout is different on mobile and only the first two elements are visible on mobile compared to all 6 on desktop.

Screenshot or video of the issue (if applicable):

I've added a quick visualiziation to maybe make it a bit more clear. I hope your designers don't hate me now ;-)

3 Likes

Hello Christian, Thank you a lot for the feedback and for the effort you put into creating a visual example of your feature request, it certainly helps a lot to have a better idea of exactly what you want!

I'm going to add your thread to the "features" cetegory and submit your idea to our product team. And when / if I have news about this featured being developed I'll post an update in this same post.

For now, you'll need to continue using the placeholders of each of the fields on your Custom types to add directions / instructions for your team.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is being tracked as an open feature request.

If you have another use-case for this feature, you can 'Flag' this topic to reopen. Please use the :heart: button to show your support for the feature and check out our Feature Request Guidelines.