BUG - Slice Labels are being deleted

Hi Phil, the problem is that there are still customers using the legacy custom type builder and can't migrate over to slice machine. Labels being deleted has been a constant issue over the last 12 months

The most reliable option, in that case, is to use a Select Field as the first field in your Slice instead of Slice Labels. Your user can select what option they want using this field, and the Select Field will never disappear as it is built using the Visual Builder. In your code, you will use it the exact same way you use Slice Labels.

The likelihood is that Slice Labels won't be fixed as they are very low priority since there are workable options in both Slice Machine and the Legacy builder.

I'm going to move for the removal of Slice labels in our docs to stop confusion, as the dropdowns perform the same action.

Thanks Phil. Totally understand what you mean and I've actually been doing this strategy with the select fields for quite some time.

I think the problem comes when there is a client with an existing website which has been built using Slice Labels and the client doesn't have the developer resource to migrate over to Select fields. Now they will need to either spend money to fix something which ultimately is not their fault or continue using Prismic with missing functionality which was there before and working with the risk to potentially break UI elements.

Yes, I agree it can cause issues, and I really wish it didn't.

Hopefully, it can be avoided for most people with user roles in the legacy builder, that way only the dev has access to the types. In Slice Machine since types are now local, this should be the case without user roles.

@Phil sorry to dig up something old, but I thought Slice Machine isn't recommended for in-production repositories just yet?

Hi Scott,

Slice Machine is recommended on production repositories, there are many users already doing so. The thread you linked points out that migrating older Slice models isn't possible yet.

Thanks.

Hey @Phil,

I thought that was the distinction. In-production repositories being those that are already running with the legacy builder and slices, are not recommended for migrating to Slice Machine. New production repositories are fine to go ahead and use it.

Is that accurate?

thanks,
Scott.

Hey Scott, you've summed it up correctly.

1 Like