Deeply Nested Fields

I was wondering if it would be possible to have deeply nested data in Prismic. Basically I want to have a Page Model with a group of tables. Each table should have a group of rows. Each row should have a group of key value pairs which further describe that row.

I'm basically trying to make an interop data. For example, my first page might have a firmware section. In that section there are two tables titled Firmwares 1-5 and Firmwares 5-6. In the one titled Firmwares 1-5, there may be a Firmware 1 with details and supports like so:

Details

BIOS: 1.2.3

Gen8: ABCD2123A1

Gen9: AJJJW123A3

Supports

1.0.1 -> Y

1.0.2 -> N

1.0.3 -> Y

The problem is twofold. First it appears you can't have any kind of nesting past two levels either with a slice or a group. Secondly, unlike Contentful you have to create the content first and then link to it which is incredibly tedious for this kind of thing. I'd much rather have the group have a link or create so you can make one right on the spot. Trying to have 3+ sets of toplevel data and then repetitively juggle their relationships in your head is too much. Anyway, is there a way to handle this use case?

Hi Malik,

Welcome to the Prismic community, I will try to help you with this.

Prismic doesn’t allow nested groups, but this is an open feature request which we have discussed here:

Also, you might find this article useful of how to create a Tables in Prismic

Also you are correct in stating that a document must exist before you can link to it in another document:

This is not something we plan to change in the immediate future, but I have also added this to our feature request tracker.

Sorry we don't have any better solutions for your particular use case.

Please let us know if you have any further questions,
Fares

This issue has been closed due to inactivity.

2 Years of no updates or activity on the absence of such a basic and fundamental feature, creating mega menus and advanced nested content is a massive pain with prismic right now and I hope something can be done about this before I move on to something else.

Hello @joshwcorbett, as Fares mentioned, it is not possible to add Groups within other Groups. However, this doesn't mean you cannot create nested fields for a mega menu. Content modeling makes it possible. You can create all kinds of navigation menus using Slices and Content Relationship fields.