Request: Nested or grouped repeatable content within slices

Feature Idea (one per thread):

The ability to have groups with repeatable content inside of the repeatable area of a slice.

For example, I would like to create a “link list” slice. I can create this slice with a “title” key text in the non-repeatable area and then links in the repeatable area so an author would be able to create a column with a variable number of links with a title at the top. However, what I want is a group of link lists. If an author creates 1 link list I would want it to be a single column, if an author creates 2 or more link lists I would want them to display in a grid. But each link list needs to be grouped with the others.

Another example would be cards. If I wanted an author to be able to add a “cards” slice to the page and then within that slice be able to add a variable number of “cards”, which might be a grouping of name, picture and occupation field for each card.

Issue that is solves:

When an author wants to create sections of repeatable groups.

2 Likes

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the feedback and the detailed use case. I’ve added your information to our feature request tracker for the product team to consider, but I know that this isn’t part of our roadmap for the foreseeable future.

There are some solutions for your use cases though.

For your first use case of a link lists grid:

1. You could create multiple slices with each list in you document and configure your front-end application with a component which creates your grid using the list slices.

2. Or you can create this structure with a document for creating your lists as described in the following document. Then either query this document directly or using a content relationship in the document that you want to use it in and use GraphQuery to get the data:
    https://user-guides.prismic.io/en/articles/2888625-creating-a-3-level-navigation-menu

For your second use case of creating cards: This is possible using slices, we did so in our slice machine project, you simply add the fields you need for your card in the repeatable zone of the slice like so:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

This is being tracked as an open feature request.

If you have another use-case for this feature, you can 'Flag' this topic to reopen. Please use the :heart: button to show your support for the feature and check out our Feature Request Guidelines.