Define Source of Slug / UID Field

Feature Idea (one per thread):

It would be great to being able to define the source field for the UID / slug field.

Issue that it solves:

I've noticed the UID field gets overwritten. E.g. the editor is starting to add the slug field first, then adds some content and Prismic seems to overwrite the field with content from some other field (the source seems to vary or does not follow any logical pattern I feel).

Hello Christian, thanks for reaching out.

We've had similar discussions in the past. You can take a look at our thoughts on this matter here:

As Phil mentions in this other thread you have to options to lock your UID in place so that it’s not overwritten:

1. Add content to the field you wish to auto-populate the UID
  2. Either ( click save) OR ( go to the UID field and add then remove a space )

That thread is also marked as an open feature request, so if you'd like to show your support for the feature, please use the :heart: button .

Hello Paulina,

thanks for your reply. While it's good to know there's a workaround I think this adds an unnecessary step of complexity for the client. No offense though.

Much appreciate your quick reply.

1 Like

Threads close after a period of inactivity. Flag this thread to re-open it and continue the conversation.

@Pau I'm sorry to dig this up again, are there any updates on this?

I agree with @christian that this is hard to understand for non-tech users or even users in general.
I want users to not care about the slug field and just fill in their content. It would be awesome if defining a source field for the uid would be possible.

Hey @christianreich, I completely understand your concern about the complexity of the UID field for non-technical users. It's very understandable. Unfortunately, at this time, there are no updates for this feature request.

Ultimately, our goal is to make the user experience as seamless and straightforward as possible, and we will continue to explore ways to improve this. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.