Get email notifications when a writer roles saves changes to a page or release?

Hi,

Is it possible for users with the publisher or admin role to get notifications when a user with the writer role makes changes to a page, or changes a page in a release?

We would like to impose a fairly simple publishing workflow where writers (users with the writer role) create or update pages, save their changes, and then hand over to a user with the publisher role to review and publish those changes. This workflow would work most smoothly if the publisher user could get notifications of some kind – ideally emails – to let them know that pages have changed. Is there an email notification mechanism like this?

Without automated notifications, our writers will need to directly contact publisher users to ask them to push their changes live. This is workable, but a more manual process than we were hoping for.

If I understand correctly the supported approach for a workflow like this, is for changes to be batched together into a release, and for the publisher user to schedule or manually publish the whole release. Unfortunately releases don't fit well with our needs since page edits tend to be made ad-hoc to individual pages, not to multiple pages. And in this case we would also prefer to get automated email notifications or similar when pages in a release are changed.

I'm new to the writer/publisher roles so may well be missing something obvious.

Any feedback appreciated, thanks!

Hello @digital4

Welcome to the Prismic community, and thanks for reaching out to us.

Unfortunately, getting an email notification when a writer changes something to a document is not possible.

However, you can do the following to check the document editing:

1. You can view a list of changes to your document by clicking on the History button. Learn more about the Version Documents.
  2. You might want to trigger the Webhooks to your repository. Learn more about Webhooks.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Priyanka

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Webhooks looks like a reasonable option, we can translate those into email notifications or Slack messages ourselves.

However given the available webhooks that writer users can trigger, it looks like we will still need our writer users to create releases instead of just updating documents because there isn't a webhook trigger for document updates, only for release updates?

Cheers,
James

Hello @digital4

The most common action for webhook is when a document is published or edited either in work or release. You can give this a try and let me know.

Thanks,
Priyanka