Hi there, I want my readers to be able to comment beneath the articles posted for further engagement. A function similar to what Reddit does, or other social media platforms. If this is possible, is there anything I can look into to get started? Has anyone done something similar before? I saw a page online about this but it wants users to leave their emails to be able to comment. Ideally, we (the engineering team) don't want to be collecting user emails. I'm not a developer (so apologies if I'm missing anything obvious), just helping my team out. Any useful links would be good for me to share with the team.
I'm not familiar with your tech stack, so it's difficult to provide specific recommendations. However, I can share what we did for our blog at prismic.io/blog, where we implemented a comment feature at the bottom of each post.
Here's how we did it:
- We created a database using Supabase.
- In our Next.js app, we integrated Supabase's SDKs to handle comment collection.
- When a comment is submitted, Next.js also sends a notification to our team's Slack for approval.
- Once approved in Slack, a request is sent to Supabase to mark the comment as published.
- Next.js then revalidates the comments to have them in the blog post HTML.
If you're using Next.js for your website, you can refer to the blog post I wrote about this implementation. Even if you're using a different technology, you may still find some useful information there.
Best of luck with implementing comments. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.
All the best,