Limit to the number of Elements in a slice?

Hey, I feel like I'm running into a limit with the number of elements I can have in a slice. We have a slice to power a Dealer locator on our Prismic powered website. When I go to add another new element and save the page I get a spinning wheel for about 30 seconds and then an error message. If I edit an existing element the page saves in a matter of seconds. There is a lot of element as we have a lot of dealers worldwide. 550+ dealers. Is there a limit to the number of elements? Any way to see what error is occurring? Any help would be awesome.

Hey Chris, welcome to the Prismic forum!

There isn’t a limit in the amount of fields that you can add inside a Slice. I imagine the error that you’re getting has another reason. If you could provide us with more information we can investigate further.

• Which browser are you using?
  • If you have screenshots of the error in the writing room and/or the console of the browser, post them here as well
  • The URL of the repo, (you can add this in a private message)

Thanks for the response Paulina!

• I’m currently using Chrome as the browser. I have also tried in Safari and gotten the same results.
  • Below is a screenshot of the Console form Chrome
  • Ill send you the URL in private message

Hey Chris, thank you for all the details. I went and made some tests with your Custom type and I was able to replicate the issue. I’m going to inform the team so they can take a look, I’ll come back to you as soon as I have some info about this.

It is worth noting that the Group field that you’re using for your Dealer Locator Custom type is not a Slice but rather a top-level field, a Group field in your case. Slices also have similar behavior, they have the ‘Repeatable Zone’ that works as a group!

1 Like

Thanks for the info on Group fields and slices Paulina. Any news on what the issue might be? Or the error thats is happening?

i’m always more than happy to help!

No news yet, but I’ll keep you posted in here as soon as possible

1 Like

Hello Chris, After talking to the dev team we've concluded that hard limits are not defined for how many items can exist inside a group field. But it is true that the performance of the page will start to be slow or even break if 500+ are added to it.

So the best option for your case would be to separate this file into smaller documents so that it becomes more manageable.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.