Questions on Multi-lingual support

Hi,

I'm new to Prismic and so far I'm quite impressed with it. I was wondering though if the platform allows for some configuration to tackle some concerns:

1. Common fields across multi-language documents: My blogs can have one or more tag and tags are linked to categories. Both, tags and categories have fields that should have the same value irrespectively to the language, and some others that have the translation in the language. For example, categories have a colour field that should have the same value regardless of the selected language. At the moment I need to setup colour in each language separately, which is fine as this categories are slowly changing, but I have the same with blogs and those change frequently. It's just a risk I want to avoid if possible. Is there a solution for this?

2. Overview which docs are available in which language: On my website, some non CMS managed content links back to CMS managed content irrespectively to the language. As such it's really important that I can see very quickly if one or the other document, tag, tag category has not been translated in all supported languages. With the current view, I don't see this however. I would have to write a function in my backend that retrieves all docs and alerts me if something is missing. IS there a way to see in the documents list for each document which translations exist?

3. Language choices - Is there a config which i can use to switch from the 5 character ISO code to the 2 character iso code? My website only supports the 2 code version and i would otherwise need to translate the language codes.

4. Document list - is there a way to define which columns appear in the document list? would be quite useful as some fields related to the same of other documents.

Thanks a lot,
Peter

1 Like

Hi @peter2

Thank you for reaching out to us.

After going through all of your questions, here is my understanding point-wise:

1. If I understand your case correctly, you are adding tags at each place, but want to know how are you adding categories here? If you add tags and copy all content from one language to another language, the same tags will be available for the translated page. Currently, we are having content and tags separately designed for each language/locale i.e. changing tags at one document will not have the same impact on its corresponding version document.

2. You can choose/switch to other languages by selecting the dropdown language from the document listing page, where you can exactly see documents available for each language/translation.

3. For languages, changing the ISO version is not available at the moment. It should be handled on the front-end only.

4. This isn't possible in the document screen, but there are many ways to do this via the API. Please find more detail in this thread.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thanks,
Priyanka

Hi Priyanka,

Re 1) It's not about how i add categories. It's about consistency of values across multiple languages. I have setup my taxonomy using custom types for tags and tag categories. tags are linked to tag category. What i was referring to is that f.i. category has a few fields, one of them is a Display name which is of course different in each language, but it also other fields that would have the same value despite the language - such as colour code. I understand that if I copy a document into a different language, it copies those values as well and thus it will be the same, but should i make a change in the future, I will have to go through every document to make the change. I understand that there is no other option. Perhaps it's worth to consider as a future feature.

Re 2) To switch between languages doesn't quite help. If you have hundreds of documents in multiple languages, you will with switching between languages have no insight if one or the other document has not been created in one language. If you look at how Wordpress does it, you can either switch between languages or you can show all languages. If you select the latter, you can easily see which docs are missing:

Re 3) I can live with that.

Re 4) Thanks for this. Would be nice to see this feature implemented. I think most people will benefit from this.

Hello @peter2

Sorry for the delayed response. Your explanation is much clearer, and I really agree with the multi-lingual. I think it could be beneficial and have added another tick to the @features-team tracker for that.

Thank you for your genuinely constructive feedback. It really helps us understand the user experience and build a better product.

Priyanka

1 Like

This is being tracked as an open feature request.

If you have another use-case for this feature, you can 'Flag' this topic to reopen. Please use the :heart: button to show your support for the feature and check out our Feature Request Guidelines.

Hi we have the same need as @peter2. Is this feature common fields across multi-language documents already implemented?

Hello @matthias.brun

Welcome to the Prismic community, and thanks for reaching out to us.

I have no update at the moment of time. You can check our progress page
for any new updates and implementations.
I appreciate your feedback, and thanks for raising your vote for the feature. My dedicated team will consider your feedback.
I will update you here if I get any update from the team.

Thanks,
Priyanka