Toolbar side loading unneeded Google font Source Code Pro

Hello @Agata, there isn’t any news for the moment. Did you see a different behavior of the toolbar recently?

Hello @Pau, thank you for the response. The toolbar as stated before is making an API call to Google Fonts, which I'm trying to avoid now. But it is not different, it was like this before.

I understand.

Whenever we make updates to this feature we'll update this same thread.
Thanks

@Agata My company's legal team refused to allow it, instead my team disabled the Prismic toolbar on our production deployments. We include it on our QA deployments and our content writers use that to preview and work on their edits.

@Pau or @Phil are you aware if anyone on your team looked into this issue? I wonder if it would be a greater priority now considering the recent legal case regarding Google Fonts in Germany, and developments in Austria and France against Google Analytics.

Thanks for the feedback. We look into every open issue in the backlog and we try to prioritize them based on demand.

Yes, please. This has been a problem for years. Such an easy fix. Please get it prioritised.

We've shared your feedback with the relevant team. Whenever we have news about this we'll let you know in this same thread.

Thanks

This is frustrating, please fix this, it is a small item.

Hello @nevers, I'll share your concern with the dev team.
We have plans to revamp the toolbar so this will probably be fixed as soon as we release a new version.

Just wanted to bump this as well. As for GDPR-reasons we're not allowed to use Google Fonts. Should we re-develop the whole website because we're loading fonts that we don't need? :wink:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll share it with the team.
We hope to be able to resolve this issue soon so that this is no longer a roadblock.

1 Like

Hey, any updates here? In Austria, we had lawyers massively threatening companies regarding the usage of Google Fonts, Germany follow suits, and loading a font that we don't even use seems like opening our websites unnecessarily regarding GDPR-"attacks".

Hello @matteo1, we have no news. But we have plans to revamp the toolbar entirely in the future. This would be solved when that happens.

Is there an ETA on that?

So to summarize I have to tell my client that they have to migrate away from Prismic if they do not want to include Google Fonts and be GDPR-compliant?

Hey @matteo1. We'll have a large round of releases this week. I've pushed this request to the dev team so they can take a closer look and set the priority.

I'll let you know if they'll move forward with this.

We weren't able to tackle this request this round. I'll post an update whenever we do.
Thanks

Hi Prismic Team, we have been receiving complaints from clients that are aiming to be GDPR compliant and they are reconsidering to use Prismic if this unneeded google font issue won't be taken care of.

Hey @piotr.zwolinski, I'll share your comments with the team. Thanks

I really hope this gets addressed soon. Using the preview script in production is literally illegal in most of Europe right now.

@here

I'm happy to inform you we've just released a new version of the toolbar which improves the toolbar performance in your browser and also removes this Google Font. :smile:

Thank you for your patience on this. We appreciate it took a while to implement, but we are constantly trying to improve our team's processes so that we can roll out improvements that include minor fixes such as this more regularly.

You should be able to see version '4.0.9' for your toolbar now as shown in this video, if not try refreshing your browser.
Oct-21-2020 15-02-36

Thanks again :pray:

3 Likes