Can't execute './serve.sh' on windows

using the online quick start and after 4 hours finally got composer into cmd prompt. finally got composer install lto work but it does not accept ./serve.sh that the steps tell you to run as a command.
if i just type serve.sh i get , this file does not have an app associated. if i use . or / i get system cannot execute. if i use composer install ./serve.sh i get Use Require in stead of install? i get

Deprecation warning: Your package name PHP Quickstart is invalid, it should have a vendor name, a forward slash, and a package name. The vendor and package name can be words separated by -, . or . The complete name should match "[1]([.-]?[a-z0-9]+)/a-z0-9$". Make sure you fix this as Composer 2.0 will error.

i am new as you may see but any help appreciated.

1. a-z0-9 ↩︎

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the community!

I’ve just tested this on my side and it seems the quick start is still working. So we can work together to figure out what’s going wrong on your side.

Have you tried installing composer globally?
https://getcomposer.org/doc/00-intro.md#globally

Also did you ‘cd’ in to the root directory of your project files? If you’re not in the root directory maybe composer isn’t finding the serve.sh file.

Let me know and we’ll work through this.

Thanks for the reply. Obviously I am still out f my depth ai o have no idea what CD even means. I am just trying to follow the steps outlined, and assumed that the five steps was at a novice level.

I struggled with the point the cmd to your project instruction… opened the folder and used cmd from the folder so assume what you refer to as CD ‘ is connecting directly’ happy to be told go away and learn some !!! If that’s the case. …Just trying to self learn…

No worries I’m happy to help and help you learn. ‘CD’ in this case simply mean ‘change directory’, so I meant, if in the terminal you weren’t in the project folder containing the following files, then you would need to change to this directory:

README.md
composer.json
config.php
serve.sh
app
composer.lock	public
vendor

You can check to see if you in the correct directory by running ‘ls’ on mac or ‘dir’ if you’re on windows.

If you’re in this directory and you’ve already installed composer like you say then running then command ‘./serve.sh’ on a mac should launch the project.

Are you maybe using a windows computer? That might be the issue here.

The Quick Start is indeed designed for a novice level, with Prismic. So learning about PHP and the command terminal before will be useful too. Although I’m happy to help with that process.

Hi @anthony

We know that Developer documentation plays a key part when you’re starting a project as a beginner or even as a great source of value for power users and experts.

Docs are like roads and we want to make sure you can easily navigate them without getting lost or frustrated over the course of your journey.
So we are currently working on improving our docs design :D.

No piece of documentation is absolutely perfect, but having your feedback would help to make our docs more useful and enjoyable for you.

If you are have 5 minutes to spare you can help us to improve our Documentation by taking this quick (and fun) survey, or book a video call with me for a live feedback.

Let me know,
Dragana - UX & User research

Yes am using windows pc

Hi Anthony,

The issue is coming from the fact your are running this on windows, the command " ./serve.sh" is a linux(mac) command.

To clarify, Windows does not have a built-in utility to support .sh files. To run such, you'll need to install a third-party tool such as Cygwin.

I got this info from this website you'll be able to get more information on the subject there :)