Change limit on content type

I am trying to change the limit on a content type but I am not able to do that once it's been created. Am I missing something? Why is that not possible?

Can you please clarify what exactly you mean by "limit"? Are you referring to the number of instances of Slices, Custom Types or something else?

There is no limit on the number of instances you can create for a Custom Types. However, if you have declared the content type as a singleton, you can have only one instance of that type.

When you create a content type you have to declare it as Single or Reusable. That’s the limit. If I create a content type as Single and then change my mind and want to make it reusable, it doesn’t seem to give me the option to change that. I have to delete it and re-do it.

Yes. In order to make the switch, you would need to ensure that there are no existing documents based on the custom type, and delete the custom type itself before switching to a singleton.

By design, singletons in Prismic represent a unique instance of a custom type. This ensures data consistency and avoids potential conflicts.

It's worth noting that the process of transitioning custom types, particularly from repeatable to singleton, may require careful planning and consideration.

That all just seems like a hassle. I could just always use the reusable limit and then not have to worry about being restricted.

I'm unable to modify the limits on a content type once it has been created. I've gone through the usual steps to make changes, but it seems restricted post-creation. Is there a reason why content type limits cannot be modified after creation, or am I overlooking a specific feature or setting?

Hi @gvtofficial55, I assume that you're referring to changing a type from 'singe' to 'reusable' in Slice Machine. If that's the case, then you're correct that there isn't a way to do so in the Slice Machine UI. But you can make the change in your code by changing "repeatable": false, to "repeatable": true,.