Deleting orphaned tags?

Is there a way to delete tags which are no longer attached to any documents?

We are trying to clean up our tags but for those which are no longer used by any documents we cannot see how to delete them?

1 Like

Hello Alex, You can remove them by getting rid of them in all existing documents (including archived and docs in releases). After that, the unused tags should get deleted.

Let me know if you have any further questions
Thanks

1 Like

ok great, thanks for the help!

1 Like

This issue has been closed due to inactivity. Flag to reopen.

Hello! I have two tags that still show up in the Prismic UI even after archiving and deleting all documents with that tag. Any idea how to remove them from the UI?

Hey there @dan.duett, that should be enough to erase the tags. Can you send me the URL of your repo, the name of the tag, and the Custom Types that used it? I'd like to run a test on my end.

Thanks

Thanks, Pau! I just send you a direct message with the info you requested.

Thanks for the details. I was able to reproduce the issue. I informed the team. I'll let you know as soon as we have a solution.

1 Like

Hi @Pau ,

Any luck with this? I'm also facing this issue where a tag that no longer exists on any document is still showing up in prismic, and is still getting returned by the tags API.

Hello @saas1, the issue is still on our backlog. We'll review it as soon as it's possible.

1 Like

Having this issue too, really inconvenient not to be able to delete tags from the list. When is this likely to be addressed?

1 Like

Thanks for joining the conversation @dani. We don't have any updates just yet. But we'll update this thread as soon as we do.

1 Like

@Pau: Are you able to replicate on your end? I assumed that this was unique to our instance but @dani's reply suggests that other customers are having the same problem.

Here's some additional context that might help with prioritization:

One of the common complaints I get from editors is "Prismic document search sucks," which I think is a fair statement. This is exacerbated by poor content modeling on our part: we cram way too many documents into a few custom types.

I want to give editors a workaround, and tags came to mind. But if we can't delete tags, then we need to very careful about adding new ones. And even if we're very thoughtful about tags, we have some unthoughtful tags (that should be deleted) crowding the dropdown. This makes for a very brittle (read: unscalable, hard to grow with, hard to justify renewing our annual contract) system. Please ask your product team to invest in features that already exist (and should work better)!

@dan.duett, your reasons are very valid and justifiable. This is an issue we are aware of. A few users have reported it, although it's difficult to replicate the issue on an arbitrary repository.

As soon as we have news about this error being fixed we'll let you know.

1 Like

Hi there, wanted to check on this issue again. I am also challenged by orphaned tag and wanted to see if this is a more general problem or specific to my repo? Wanted to start the marketing team to enter content but tagging is a quite important part of the process.

1 Like

Hello @kamal, there's still no news about this issue. What's the URL of your repository and the tags you are having trouble with?

Hi @Pau I think I am good. I had removed the tags around 2 days ago and retagged them. It seems the editor takes a while to pick up on orphaned tags. So since I asked the tags are gone.

Glad to know it worked for you. If you need help with this or anything else please let us know.

This issue is coming up for us again because we're debating whether to use tags to help power our content model and blog taxonomy. Worrying about not being able to delete un-needed tags makes us much less confident in the platform as a long-term home for our content. If there's anything you can do to escalate the issue so that all customers can reliably delete un-used tags, please let me know.

1 Like