I hit a request limit I didn't think existed

I just got this:

{"status_code":429,"status_message":"Your request count (236) is over the allowed limit of 200."}

But the only docs about API limits I can find say there are no such limits.

What's happening?

Hey @bart,

You are correct that there shouldn't be a limit. Are you querying the CDN? Your URL endpoint should look like this:


If the CDN isn't the issue, then can you tell me what kind of process you are running to get this error?


No, I'm using https://[repo].prismic.io/graphql because that's what the documentation says to use.

Hey @bart,

I didn't realize you were using GraphQL, so the endpoint is different, but the principle is the same. Switching to the CDN might solve this issue. The URL should be:


Let me know if that works for you.


I was trying to point out that the documentation should be amended:

  1. Where you talk about there being no limits, say that's as long as you're using the CDN endpoint.
  2. Where you tell us which endpoint to use for GraphQL, mention the CDN one too.

Yes, the other endpoint was working for me, but I still managed to hit a limit. I'm currently getting a code 413 with this body:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<TITLE>ERROR: The request could not be satisfied</TITLE>
<H1>413 ERROR</H1>
<H2>The request could not be satisfied.</H2>
<HR noshade size="1px">
Bad request.
We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
<BR clear="all">
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.
<BR clear="all">
<HR noshade size="1px">
Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: oT8fSDsP9jnZWmUIPfiKw8ICsgEQirw2XMwaLQQdfHX4J5RV_6JWiA==

Ah, it turns out I was just hitting the URL length limit again, and Cloudfront doesn't give a useful error message for it. My only clue was the 413 status.

Some other threads about the issue I'm now hitting:

Please fix it. There's only so far I can optimize these queries.

Hey @bart ,

Thanks for this feedback! Our GraphQL API is still in beta, so we're ironing out issues like this. GraphQL POST requests are on our roadmap. I'll share this info with the product team, so they can consider it when setting priorities.


This issue has been closed as it has been fixed, Flag if it is not the case for you to reopen.

@bart - I think I figured out a way to do this, check out my answer on another post:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thanks, but I'm already compressing my queries (I responded to your other thread with details).

The solution to my original problem in this thread was this response.

I later hit the query length limit but the error message was hidden by Cloudfront, and the response code was the only clue that it was the request length limit.

I was already compressing queries at that point and still managed to hit the limit. I restructured my queries after that to use more fragments, and that has, for the time being at least, taken me below the limit again.

I would still like Prismic to update the GraphQL endpoint documentation though. It still says to use the non-CDN endpoint and does not mention the CDN endpoint at all. This is problematic, because the docs also say there are no request rate limits, but the non-CDN endpoint which it tells us to use does have request rate limits.

Specifics of what I think the documentation problems are, are in my message above: I hit a request limit I didn't think existed - #6 by bart

@bart Thanks for pointing out the error in the documentation. I've updated the code snippets in the docs to include the CDN.

As for the CDN, in the future I'll add a note in the documentation explaining.

This issue has been closed as it has been fixed, Flag if it is not the case for you to reopen.