Integrating with translation services

Are there any plans to integrate translation services into Prismic?

I was looking into ways to easily translate content on Prismic, but only came up on this SO answer mentioning that this might be considered: is there a way to send data to prismic.io? - Stack Overflow .

We're considering migrating our website from WordPress to Prismic, and even though we're only serving content in English at the moment, translation will definitely come up in the future. Due to the way the content is structured/segmented in Prismic, it would be really tedious do manual copy-paste translation. Using the Import/Export feature with some tooling could work, however we're a startup with few editors and can't shell out the money for that.

Ideally, I could imagine Prismic having an integration similar to what Phrase has, connecting with 3rd party services like TextMaster or Gengo, and having a way to place translation orders.

So the bottom line is: can we expect something like that on the horizon, and if so, would it only be available in the Professional tiers(like the Import/Export feature)?

2 Likes

In the meantime you may want to check out https://www.bablic.com. I’ve used it across several different CMS’ because their JS API is CMS agnostic.

Hello @gaspar.portik

The short answer is yes, this is something that we would love to put in the product at some point. We already worked on some designs and are in contact with some translations platforms for partnership. This is not something that will arrive in a short term period, though.

This feature will probably be included in Professional plans or at an additional cost.

To better design this feature, I would be interested in understanding a bit better your use case. Is your translation team, included in the prismic repository? Are these people already working in your company, or are you planning to recruit translators through those platforms?

Do you have a preferred platform that you would like to see integrated natively?

Thanks,
Renaud

Hi Renaud!

It’s good to hear that you guys are already looking into solutions.

To understand what we’re looking for, you need to understand who we are: a small tech startup, with only 2 copy-writers. We would publish bi-/weekly news articles to our website. We have no translators in our team, so all articles are written in English.

We have been using Phrase for translations in our product, since a couple of months, quite successfully. We’ve been using their integration with TextMaster. Something similar to what they provide would be nice:

• write the content (e.g. a news article) in one language (e.g. English)
  • select content(s) that needs to be translated, and select target language(s)
  • be presented with translation options(third-party service, quality) and pricing
  • confirm the order and pay for it
  • be notified when translations are done, verify and publish.

Now, I understand that the above steps seems simple, but would take a lot of time to develop something similar. Alternatively, if Prismic had a write API, third-party tools could be written to connect Prismic with translation services.

Cheers,
Gaspar

1 Like

Piggybacking on this old(er) issue. Any update on integrating with translation services? I’m working on a project right now that uses prismic and we are just now starting to focus on i18n work.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey Niki :wave:,

Currently, native integration with translation services isn’t on our product roadmap, but as Renaud mentioned, we are planning implementing it in the future.

Also, there is an integration developed by Crowdin that allowing you import your documents from Prismic and translate it in Crowdin. You’d need to have the Import/Export feature available on your repository.

Let me know if you have any other question on above or anything else :wink:

1 Like

Hey Niki,

What would your use case for i18n be in your project?

This is being tracked as an open feature request.

If you have another use-case for this feature, you can 'Flag' this topic to reopen. Please use the :heart: button to show your support for the feature and check out our Feature Request Guidelines.

Translations. have there been updates? having moved from Wordpress am frustrated by the translation capabilities and would like best practices and a heads-up if this is being addressed. We sell in 5 languages and "localization" is our focus for 2022. Feeling Prismic-stuck.

Hi Jarrod,

Welcome to the community!

There hasn't been any movement on this feature yet. We are aware of how important it is and we are hoping that we can begin work on this in the 2nd half of 2022.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Phil any news on this integrations development? We really need to automate our translations process and the fact that Prismic does not have a standard import API, that we can use to push data in, prevents us from building some sort of automated process.

We'd love to work together with Prismic on this, we believe this feature would be very valuable for Prismic and their customers, while obviously helping us.

I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you.

João at Remote

Hi João,

There still hasn't been any movement on this feature yet. We are still hoping that we can begin work on this in the 2nd half of 2022.

I appreciate your offer of help, but unfortunately, this has to be an in house solution.

The best option for a translation process at the minute is using the import/export feature.

If/when we have any updates on this we'll inform you here.

Thanks.

Hi Prismic Team, any updates on this? This is becoming critical for us to translate our content and we're starting to consider migrating to Hygraph and their integration with Lokalize.

An update would be much appreciated.

Best,
Jerome

Hey @jerome.brunel,

The new Migration API creates the possibility to programmatically create drafts of your Prismic content. If you'd like, you can create your own API connection to connect Prismic to a translation service.

Sam

Hi @samlittlefair ,

Can you please elaborate further on how this can be done?

Hey @rmalek,

I don't have any more information on this subject yet, as the Migration API is still in beta. If you have a specific question, you could post it here to see if anyone in the community has any suggestions :slight_smile:

Sam