Migration API short migration timeframe from Import/Export tool

Hello there,

I have some concearns about the limited timeframe for the deprecation on the Import/Export functionality and the migration to the new Migration API.

The new migration API is currently under closed beta which means that there's a waitlist and a key is required to use/test the new API. Considering that and the fact that the Import/Export tool will be deprecated on 30th April, don't you think it is a very short timeframe to perform the full migration? What is the queue time to receive an API key? Is there plans for an open beta? I've applied on Friday (22nd March) but I'm still waiting for the key.

All the best,
Henrique

Hi @henrique ,

In terms of availability, the Migration API is currently in Beta and requires an API key to access.

However, admin users of all Prismic repositories have access to a demo key via the menu item "Migration Release", it is available when you click "Try Migration API". along with instructions on how to make your first request.

For lower request volumes and for setting up and testing the Migration API, this demo key should already be sufficient.

We are updating the documentation and I will also add this to the FAQ on transitioning to Migration API so that it is clear a demo key is already available without the waitlist.

In cases where you anticipate large bulk updates or creation of hundreds of new documents and require a more stable rate limit, it's best to request a key via the waitlist, as you have done.

Generally, it takes around a week to get a key via the waitlist - I will be sending you and other users who signed up last week a key during the next days.

Aside from this, I appreciate that it can be challenging to implement this change by April 30.

Can you share some more info about your specific concerns or what you see as the biggest challenge currently, as we are in the process of putting together some tools to assist in the transition and can incorporate your feedback.

Best,
Alaina

Hello Alaina,

Thank you for clarifying that. We didn't know that we could use the demo key. We will test and make the integration using that key, while we wait for the closed beta key.

Our major concern is not sufficient time to develop a robust system and test the changes thoroughly. We are building an automatic process that will automatically create new documents on Prismic after being triggered by an event. This needs to be properly tested and ready to go live when the migration tool has been deprecated because we use the tool on a daily basis and it is a crucial part of our business workflow.

All the best,
Henrique