Prismic Preview Feature - Fetch all draft items always

I am using Prismic Preview with Gatsby/NextJs and as far as I know, prismic creates a token session where users can preview a single content at a time.

Most part of CMS offers a preview API Link that you can fetch all the latest draft contents. So the only thing that developers need to do is to replace the API Link /Repository ref or API Token and they can get ALL latest draft items in all requests.

If I am true about the way prismic preview works, I think it leads to poor user experience as they have to HIT the preview button every time when they want to preview content.

Let's suppose that user is doing a lot of changes in the website and is testing the preview, if user changes Home Page content and click in preview, we will load the Home Page with the preview content according to the link resolver. But what if the user has also changed About Us 1 hour ago and decides to navigate to it, he won't see the preview/draft content on About Page. He will probably need to go to Prismic dashboard and hit the preview button once again.

I also think this behaviour limits us from using features like Gatsby Refresh Endpoint (Document ENABLE_GATSBY_REFRESH_ENDPOINT · Issue #10328 · gatsbyjs/gatsby · GitHub) and limit users/developers when developing previews.

Would not be simpler to have a single source of truth API/Token that returns all draft/preview items in every request like most part of headless cms does?**

Thanks and sorry I am wrong or if I missed something about prismic preview feature.

Hey @tim2

Thanks for the feedback. We know that our philosophy on preview is different from most of the CMS out there, and I'll detail our view on this topic.

Why do we think our approach is better. Multiple preview session vs. A single Endpoint

The main difference between the other CMS in the market is that we offer multiple preview session. This means that an editor can work on a page without being impacted by someone else's changes. This is particularly helpful because another user could change a linked document or the navigation that might break the page that you're working on without you understanding why.
To answer the specific use case that you're describing (Multiple editions that you want to preview at the same time), we provide a feature that is called a release. To preview multiple documents simultaneously, we recommend putting those documents in a Release.

Once you've put those documents in a release, you will be able to preview all the changes simultaneously in your specific preview release session. Again by doing that, you will not impact any other user previewing their content, and we feel this is the way to go.

What you win on top of that, is that once your content is ready you’ll be able to publish or schedule the publication of all your changes at the same time.

You can see more details in this video.

Happy to hear your thoughts on this.

This is being tracked as an open feature request.

If you have another use-case for this feature, you can 'Flag' this topic to reopen. Please use the :heart: button to show your support for the feature and check out our Feature Request Guidelines.