Shareable link not working consistently / samesite cookie?

It appears that the Sharable Links aren't always working in Chrome. For example, unpublished updates aren't always visible. We've noticed the purple preview loader doesn't always show up.

• We're seeing it happen often in Mac Chrome 84.0.4147.45, but not consistently.
  • We've tried clearing cookies and it still happens
  • We're using next.js

We're seeing this warning in Chrome:
Cookie associated with a cross-site resource at http://nyhs-dev.prismic.io/ was set without the SameSite attribute. It has been blocked, as Chrome now only delivers cookies with cross-site requests if they are set with SameSite=None and Secure. You can review cookies in developer tools under Application>Storage>Cookies and see more details at Chrome Platform Status and Chrome Platform Status.

Hi Jason,

I’ll be happy to help.

I just need some extra info:

1. Are you only seeing this issue when using Shareable Links or is it happening with Previews in general?
  2. When you say “unpublished updates” do you mean documents that have never been published?
  3. Can you tell me what version of Next.js your using and are you doing static generation?

For the samesite warning you’re seeing, this is only for an extra cookie coming over for logged in Prismic users. This shouldn’t effect the preview.

Thanks.

1. Only seeing it with sharable links
  2. Unpublished = yes, we're editing a document, saving, and sending the preview link of the changes to the client
  3. Next is ^9.4.0

Thanks!

Are you seeing any errors in the console?

Can you send me a private message with one of the shareable links so I can help debug?

Also have you checked out our Previews troubleshooting article to see if anything sounds familiar?

Hey Jason,

Just moving this back public.

I haven’t been able to recreate this. I’m on the latest chrome 83, is that what you mean?

You’re using the same version of chrome as version of chrome as the users who it’s breaking for, correct?

Can you ask if any of these users are using Ad or cookies blockers? This could break the preview.

Not using Ad Blockers or Cookie blockers — but it is indeed Chrome 84:
Google Chrome is up to date
Version 84.0.4147.45 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

We like to be one step ahead at our company — I’m wondering if the upcoming version of chrome changes how cookies are handled and will cause a big issue for you and your users once it’s live: https://blog.chromium.org/2020/05/chrome-84-beta-web-otp-web-animations.html

I think this might be the issue: https://blog.chromium.org/2020/05/resuming-samesite-cookie-changes-in-july.html

1 Like

I wanted to update you on this — if you turn off the SameSite settings in chrome://flags/, it’s a workaround. But this is not something that we can tell clients to do.

Hi Jason,

i just wanted to let you know that thanks to your precious informations, i’ve managed to reproduce this issue.
It would appear that we forgot the shareable preview case when we prepared for the Samesite update.
Thank you very much for reporting this and following on the subject, I will be working on it today and we will keep you updated.

1 Like

Hi @jason,

Chrome 84 is here !
I wanted to give you an update on the situation.
We have a fix for the issue that is being tested at the moment.
As you can see in Chrome’ status page, Samesite cookie flags won’t be activated until Chrome 85 (at least for now).
On top of that, we discover that Chrome as a setting to disable third-party cookies in incognito mode.

1 Like

This issue has been closed due to inactivity.