Shared Tabs in Custom Types

Hi Prismic!

As a developer it would be awesome to have shared tabs on a custom type with the purpose of removing annoying maintenance.

Fx I have a Landing Page, Blog Page and a Legal page (policies and stuff) - Since all of them are pages I want them to have similar navigation options and SEO options. At the moment I have to create a new tab on each page and copy/paste the navigation and SEO structure into their respective tabs. If I want to add more to my SEO tab later on I would have to also update the other custom types.
If I instead had the option of creating a shared tab I could update them all at once <-- nice.

This is a feature I have experienced in multiple other CMS's and It is very appreciated :smiley:

I'm aware I could achieve this with slices, but I want to keep slices to be focused on content and not on page options.

Thanks!

Hi @kim1 ,

Welcome to the Prismic community, and thanks for posting this question!

If you have used Slice Machine, you know that you can build Slice models programmatically in your codebase. We're actually developing a Custom Type Builder right now, which — I think — will make it much easier to achieve what you're describing. I don't know if it would exactly be a "shared tab," but I think it should make your workflow easier. If you're interested, I could share some instructions on how to get up and running with the alpha version of the Custom Type builder.

If you want, you could also add this idea as feedback on the RFC for the Custom Type builder:

Let me know what you think :slight_smile:

Sam

Thanks for the reply.
I guess I have to wait for the SliceMachine to become available to see (I'm using Gatsby) which I hope won't be in too long :slight_smile:
It sounds like it could meet my need though! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is being tracked as an open feature request.

If you have another use-case for this feature, you can 'Flag' this topic to reopen. Please use the :heart: button to show your support for the feature and check out our Feature Request Guidelines.