Why we won't be using Prismic for our next project

I just wanted to give you some feedback why we won't be using Prismic for our next project:

• I really miss a way to create nested structures (for example for a multi-level menu)
  • I miss the option to create required fields
  • I miss the option to add descriptions to fields
  • It takes to many actions to add a new slices to multiple content types via the slice machine editor
  • You have to click to many times to add a link to another document
  • You have to click to many times to publish a document
  • I don't like that documents of all content types is the same overview

Sorry for posting this here if this is not the appropriate place. I couldn't find any other way to send you a message.

4 Likes

Hi @sjoerd,

I'm sorry to see you go, but just to address some of the reasons you're leaving, we hear you, and a lot of these are being tracked as feature requests as possible improvements.

• I really miss a way to create nested structures (for example for a multi-level menu)

We really want to work on more intuitive way to implement multi level menus and are currently tracking this as a feature request.

• I miss the option to create required fields

We have a thread here where you can follow or add to the discussion about this feature request:

• I miss the option to add descriptions to fields

For the moment you can use the placeholders as a workaround option for this.

• It takes to many actions to add a new slices to multiple content types via the slice machine editor

Can you explain more about this one? Would you like to be able to add the Slice to the Custom Types from the Slice window?

• You have to click to many times to add a link to another document

This is necessary if you need to specify between links to media, links to docs or external links. What is the behaviour you would like to see?

• You have to click to many times to publish a document

Again this is necessary for 'save states' and scheduling publishes. Do you have suggestions on how you like this to work?

• I don't like that documents of all content types is the same overview

For this, you can filter by document type in the dashboard, as well as tags, authors and creating collections.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. You can find my answers to your questions below.

It takes to many actions to add a new slices to multiple content types via the slice machine editor
- Can you explain more about this one? Would you like to be able to add the Slice to the Custom Types from the Slice window?

In order to add a new slice to multiple content types I need to do the following:

• Click "Slices"
  • Create a new slice
  • Click "Save to filesystem"
  • Click "Custom types"
  • Click the Custom type where I want to add this slice
  • Click "Update slice zone"
  • Select the new slice
  • Scroll down and click save
  • Click "Save to filesystem"
  • Repeat last 6 steps for all other types where I want to add this type
  • Click "Changes"
  • Login to Prismic (which always results in an error message, but does log me in)
  • Click "Push changes"

To improve this you could:

• Allow me to select "Custom types" from the slice edit screen
  • Remove the "Update slice zone" modal and allow me to select slices on the Custom type edit screen
  • Remove the "Save to filesystem" stel and directly publish changes to Prismic
  • Create an intuitive way to create slices and connect them to custom types via code

You have to click to many times to add a link to another document
- This is necessary if you need to specify between links to media, links to docs or external links. What is the behaviour you would like to see?

In order to add a link to another document I have to:

• Select a tekst
  • Click the "Hyperlink" icon
  • Click "What kind of link do you want to insert?"
  • Click "Link to document"
  • Search for the document i want to link to
  • Click the document

• Remove the "What kind of link do you want to insert?" step and external link documents & media list right away. Maybe with media behind another tab.
  • Make the documents list more compact (without images and descriptions)
  • Auto focus on the document searchbox and show searchresults while typing in this box
  • Replace the document type filter with a select box with all existing document types
    So something like this for example:

v4-460px-Add-a-Link-to-WordPress-Step-8.jpg

You have to click to many times to publish a document
Again this is necessary for 'save states' and scheduling publishes. Do you have suggestions on how yo____u like this to work?

In order to publish a document I have to:

• Click "Save"

• Click "Publish"

• Click "Publish" again

• Replace the button with a "Save draft" and "Save & publish" button

• Remove the second "Publish button" and move the "Publish it at a specific date and timeā€¦" and "Publish it during a releaseā€¦" options somewhere else.

I don't like that documents of all content types is the same overview
For this, you can filter by document type in the dashboard, as well as tags, authors and creating collections.

These points are no huge dealbreakers, but they do slow me down during development. I think this could be much more intuitive and faster. I hope this helps you to improve Prismic in the future.

Thanks for your feedback I really appreciate your ideas.

For the suggestions to improve adding Slices to Custom Types:

• Allow me to select "Custom types" from the slice edit screen
  • Remove the "Update slice zone" modal and allow me to select slices on the Custom type edit screen

I really like these ideas and have marked these as feature requests with the Slice Machine team.

• Remove the "Save to filesystem" step and directly publish changes to Prismic.

This would remove versioning of your Custom Types along with your code and local testing. Maybe auto-saving could be a potential solution here.

• Create an intuitive way to create slices and connect them to custom types via code

I'm not really clear on this step; could you elaborate?

For the 'adding links' UI, these are really interesting ideas, and I've passed these on to the Editor Team :)

• Remove the "What kind of link do you want to insert?" step and external link documents & media list right away. Maybe with media behind another tab.
  • Make the documents list more compact (without images and descriptions)
  • Auto focus on the document searchbox and show searchresults while typing in this box
  • Replace the document type filter with a select box with all existing document types
    So something like this for example:

For your ideas for publishing:

• Replace the button with a "Save draft" and "Save & publish" button
  • Remove the second "Publish button" and move the "Publish it at a specific date and timeā€¦" and "Publish it during a releaseā€¦" options somewhere else.

Breaking up the function of the buttons is a really nice idea; the UI might become crowded, but it's interesting to explore, and I've also passed these suggestions to the editor team.

Thanks again for your input, and hopefully we'll be able to tempt you back some day :slight_smile:

Good to hear that you like my suggestions!

I think it could be faster to register custom types, slices, connections and fields via code instead of the Slicemachine editor. So some json files to define everything for example.

I know the Slicemachine editor also generates code that I could edit of write myself, but that code is very elaborate. I prefer something simpeler like the PHP API of the "Advanced custom fields" plugin for WordPress: ACF | Register fields via PHP.

1 Like

OK, that's much clearer for me now, thank you.

This is an interesting idea and definitely a challenging one, as it moves in a very different direction from the visual editor. I've registered this as a feature request with the Slice Machine team.

If/when there's any movement on any of these ideas, we'll update you here.

Thanks again.