A few requests for Media Library

Feature Idea (one per thread):
Better Media Library tools: My clients very much miss features like:

• Searching for specific filename, extension (like mp3, mp4).
  • Sorting by date, name, size, type etc.
  • Bulk deletion, select a bunch of images to delete.
  • Seeing which images are currently used in documents. This would help delete old files.
  • Creating folders to put images into, to create better overview.

Issue that it solves:

• This is the number one reason some of my clients are hesitant to use Prismic. The users working in Prismic every day to update websites, need better UX and tools, we sometimes overlook that in our developer to developer approach.

Screenshot or video of the issue (if applicable):

15 Likes

Thanks for all your feedback, @MichaelVestergaard. We highly appreciate it!

We already have a few similar open requests for the Media Library. Please like the original posts to show your interest in the features:

Thanks will do. But these posts are years old - is this something you are seriously considering? Because I would have thought this was something you prioritized, because it's really an important selling point for agencies/freelancers like myself. Since I started using Prismic I have requested this, and all my clients mention this as the biggest downside for moving to Prismic. It would seem like a fairly easy subject to improve without impacting data structure of existing repositories.

6 Likes

Everything new feature idea is challenging and interesting but we try to prioritize the features by the level of demand and need of our users. You can always keep a close eye on what's new on our progress page. Here you can see everything we are constantly working on:

Thanks, I totally respect that. I'm just wondering if you hear from all these users - that's also why I speak up, because my clients would never write to you directly, they are just telling me when they are frustrated about something.
I think many headless cms providers focus a lot on the developer side, and maybe too little on the end user experience. Not pointing fingers at you or anything, I just think there are "easy money" to make here by making these end users happy :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Just a fun coincidence: today I received an email from a new client who just started using Prismic, they only had one request: "is there a way to create folders within the media library" - all my clients request this at some point.

2 Likes

Hey Michael, happy to see you here :slight_smile:
Yeah we've received a lot of feedback about the Media Library. We are currently redoing the whole Editing experience, Media Library included. So I'm sending this thread internally to our product designer and product manager, so it's great time, to put this under their radar.
Major improvements to the editing experience are coming and are being implemented at the moment. I understand your impatience to see progress there, it's coming :smiley: !

3 Likes

Have been suggesting these changes to Prismic team for a long time now. Hopefully we would see some progress this year.

2 Likes

Hello @shyamal890

Thanks for supporting this feature.

As my colleague, Nouha mentioned, We are currently redoing the whole Editing experience, Media Library included. And she has already sent this information to our product designer. This is something I would like to see, and we have already been tracking it as a feature request.

Thanks,
Priyanka

2 Likes

Hi Michael, i absolutely second everything you are saying here. Maybe Prismic's customer success team could make an active survey with customers on which features are most urgently needed. The improvements you suggested in your original post are basically all at the top of my wish list of improvements.

Also; it would be crucial to see in a media asset in which contents it is used!

5 Likes

Hi Nouha
Do you know the progress and timeline of these editing and Media Library improvements? I have many clients wondering why it never improves (they have been using Prismic for years). It seems you have only launched "Slice Machine" features the latest year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello @MichaelVestergaard, we don't have any updates for the moment.
We'll let everyone one if we ever do.
Thanks

@Pau @Priyanka

Half a year later - is there any update on this?

Also - speaking as someone with a software engineering background myself - it seems kind of hard to believe that you guys are actually working on this feature.

There has been no sign whatsoever yet - no MVP release, no (visual) AB Tests, nothing. So basically, we just gotta take your word for it and believe you guys that you're actively working on that, even though there has been ZERO progress visibile to the public yet.

This is an indictment of Prismic.

2 Likes

Hi Andi,

As mentioned earlier in this thread, we have been diligently working on rebuilding the entire editing experience, and we are excited to share that we are nearing our first alpha release. You can expect to receive more information about the release soon!

I want to clarify that the first release will not include any changes to the media library. However, as we mentioned previously, we recognize the opportunity for enhancing the current media library experience, and we have rebuilt the editor with these improvements in mind. The rebuild was a necessary initial step to establish a strong foundation that allows us to iterate quickly and add new features.

At Prismic, transparency and open communication with our users are paramount to us. We understand the importance of trust and ensuring that our users can rely on us when we say we are actively working on something. For instance, we have been transparent about our decisions not to work on certain features like required fields and the write API, and we have communicated these decisions openly. Although it has been some time since you received updates on the media library and the new editor, please rest assured that we are actively working on it.

We will make sure to provide an update in this thread as soon as we have a timeline for when you can expect the changes to the media library.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

3 Likes

I'd like to add to this thread. I recently inherited a site using Prismic. In previous jobs I've decided not to use Prismic for websites for precisely this reason. The media library UI is a glaring deficiency the makes daily use of Prismic miserable. In my current role I came in while the engineering team was in the middle of a migration to Prismic for cost reason. I'm considering doing a website rebuild and scrapping Prismic all together. I just spent 30 minutes trying to find one item in the media library. The page I'm building has probably 10 items. that means I could spend hours building one page just because it is hard to find media items. Please fix this.

Update: Just saw this is in the works. Is there a target release date?

Hi @weston.hancock , the new Media Library will be available in Q1 of next year. We're aiming for an initial release at the end of January and will release the new features in tight iterations across the rest of Q1.

Best,
Guy

1 Like

Thanks for the update, is the release by the end of Jan still happening? Can't wait for improved media library

Hi @dmakos team is targeting a first release of the new UI in the Page Builder this week!

1 Like