Media library tagging options/alternatives

We have implemented Prismic as a solution for a client.

One issue that is becoming a dealbreaker is that the client is used to CMS interfaces with robust media management utilities. They have numerous media assets and cannot rely on an endless list of unsorted media.

Obviously, Prismic doesn't support media tagging. (Yes, users can utilize alt/hidden text and metadata, but that's not a realistic solution in this case.)

It looks like there have been various Media Library improvement requests over the last couple years but nothing has been roadmapped.

It's hard to believe other developers wouldn't be encountering this problem with their enterprise/professional Prismic clients, as the Prismic Media Library is truly barebones.

What are our options, if the client absolutely must have a robust media management solution integrated into the Prismic CMS UI? Are there any readily-available integrations with other solutions, and or are there any upcoming improvements?

If not, we may need to abandon Prismic for the time being.

3 Likes

Hey @prism1c,

This is a feature that we discuss a lot at Prismic. There's a feature request thread for it, here:

You can add a :heart: to that post to show your support for the idea.

I can't offer any timeline for when we might implement something like this.

If you need another option, I have heard of users who create a custom API integration with Integration Fields, as I described here:

You could use any image hosting provider you want, like Imgix or Cloudinary, and write an API integration to send your images to a Prismic Integration Field. Then the content editors would select images from the Integration Field, rather than from the Image library.

That would allow you to manage your images in Cloudinary. However, you will still have to select the Images in the Integration Fields interface, which is more limited than the Media Library interface. It might not be the kind of improvement you're hoping for, but it's the only alternative I can easily imagine.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sam

1 Like

@samlittlefair - thank you for this thoughtful and detailed reply.

Reviewing the Integration Field approach, it seems that the limitations might outweigh the long-term benefit and high work investment.

Media management is crucial for many clients, so it would be fantastic if the features you're looking into become fully integrated.

Thanks again!!

1 Like

This is being tracked as an open feature request.

If you have another use-case for this feature, you can 'Flag' this topic to reopen. Please use the :heart: button to show your support for the feature and check out our Feature Request Guidelines.