Proper tags for items in the media library

Feature Idea (one per thread):

Please add the ability to assign tags to items in the media library.

Issue that it solves:

There is currently no formal way to organize assets in the media library. As the media library grows, it can quickly become a challenge to manage without some way to provide organization.

This looks to solve the same problem as the existing feature request for folders in the media library, however I think both features are valuable and could co-exist. Tagging has the advantage that it allows a media item to belong to multiple categories and has the flexibility to address a wide range of use cases where a developer may need to attach metadata to a media item. Also, as tagging is already an existing feature for document management, it fits the users existing mental model for content organization in Prismic, and perhaps would be easier to implement.

I'm aware that we can add "Private notes" to simulate tags, however this has inherent problems. Notably, if content authors can't choose from an existing set of established tag values, they are likely to make errors when entering pseudo-tag values into the "Private notes" field.

Screenshot or video of the issue (if applicable):

3 Likes

Hey @jeremy2,

Thanks for this suggestion! As you know, we're having lots of discussion about organization in the media library. I'll share this idea with out product team so they can consider it as part of the larger conversation around the media library.

You can also :heart: the thread about media library folders if you haven't already, to show your support for that request.

Sam

3 Likes

This is being tracked as an open feature request.

If you have another use-case for this feature, you can 'Flag' this topic to reopen. Please use the :heart: button to show your support for the feature and check out our Feature Request Guidelines.