How can I create/update/delete documents via API?

Hi everyone,
Is there any possibility to create, update or delete documents via the REST API? Unfortunately, I didn't find any POST requests in the documentation. The Write API also looks inconvenient in order to implement it into an existing system. As I understand it, integration fields create custom-types, but it does not work with documents.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi Myrat,

We currently don't offer an API to create, update or delete documents. We have previously discussed this here:

At the minute we only have a Custom Types API and integration fields. 'Integration fields' is in fact for integrating Product Catalogues from a 3rd party service like Shopify for your content creators to add to a document within Prismic.

We are evaluating each use case as they come so that we can provide the best solution for each one.

Thanks,
Phil.

Thank you for your answer!

1 Like

This is being tracked as an open feature request.

If you have another use-case for this feature, you can 'Flag' this topic to reopen. Please use the :heart: button to show your support for the feature and check out our Feature Request Guidelines.

Hello, is it still the case that there is no write API?

If so, please add my name to the list of people that would really like to have this feature.

I really like using Prismic as my headless CMS, and it would be a shame if I couldn't use it for a project because of the lack of API support for creating documents programmatically.

Hello @eddyvinck95, that's correct. This is still the case. We have no plans of adding a Write API to Prismic.

If there's no way to "push" content into Prismic, is there a way to "pull" it in? I thought I'd seen a reference to a custom integration field for an external API - is this the case?

Hello @george1

Welcome to the Prismic community, and thanks for reaching out to us.

With the Integration field, you can Push data from a custom Write API. Integration Fields has a write API that allows you to push data to Prismic so you can create, modify, or delete catalog items via a dedicated endpoint.

Learn more about the Integration field in this article: Set up Integration Fields - Documentation - Prismic

Thanks,
Priyanka

Hey there!

I'm Alaina, a Product Manager at Prismic, and I want to share some exciting news: We've launched our Migration API in Beta!

What is the Migration API?
It's our way of addressing the content migration challenges you've shared with us.
While it's still in its early stages, it already offers:

• A programmatic approach to creating and updating documents
  • Clear validations and precise error messaging for a smoother migration

Although the Migration API is not designed to encompass all Write API use cases, it provides a strong foundation for accommodating more diverse content management needs in the future.

If you want to test out the Migration API, share your experiences, and actively shape its future, sign up for our Beta waitlist!
:point_right: Join the Waitlist

Your insights have been invaluable so far, and we can't wait to see where this collaboration takes us!
Best regards, Alaina

1 Like