Improve collaboration for Freelancers & Agencies

Feature Idea (one per thread):

As a Freelancer turned agency owner (who loves working with prismic) one of the pain points I have is handing over to clients

I suggest a way of creating a 'team' that's not tied to any repository, but can easily be added to multiple repositories to allow for developer edits.

This agency team could then pay for seats on their own plan. Pricing is obviously up to you, but i'd imagine a seat based pricing structure similar to what already exists for editors - but better suited to agency workflows.

Issue that it solves:

This would solve a lot of issues I come across as an agency owner, but many of these issues also persist for solo freelancers (especially handover problems). I'll try to list them all below

• Handing over to a client would no longer require contacting prismic to remove card details or downgrading to the 'starter' plan. The agency would pay for their own members as part of the agency plan, so the client wouldn't need to pay anything until they add their own team, and there's no awkward steps to give the client the repository that they own

• Managing team members is easier as it all happens in one place. Agency members have repositories assigned to them (or agencies have repositories assigned to them), rather than having to assign new members in each repository individually.

• Agencies no longer have to keep track of which repositories they pay for, and which are paid for by clients. Agency payment is handled all in one place, and the client is always responsible for their editors.

• Clients can't accidentally remove team members from the agency that they don't recognise

• Client seats aren't wasted on developers when (especially for smaller businesses) seats are precious. With 3 developers, client has 4 seats remaining (3 for editors, one for themselves) before pricing grows substantially.

I'm sure there are more reasons to take this approach and I've only thought of this from a development agency perspective but I'm sure there are content creation agencies out there and various freelancer types who run into similar problems

1 Like

Hi Dan,

There are some really interesting ideas here. I've reached out to the team to get a more detailed response for this as it's not my area of expertise.

Thanks.

Hey @dan

Thanks a lot for the feedback. This makes a lot of sense.
I completely agree that the hand-off process for the moment is a pain for agencies or freelancers. I think that’s something that we can quickly tackle by replicating the overall flow that we designed for non-paying plans.

Today if you’re a freelancer working on a free plan and transfer ownership to your client, your client will see an option to add their own credit card. This facilitates the handover, and I think we can replicate this by asking you on a paying plan to force your clients to input their credit cards before completing the transfer.

How does that sound?

For the billing part, there are two ideas in there that I found personally exciting.

1. Centralize billing & team
The idea of managing your organization in one place (Team & Billing) completely makes sense. Managing your team (Add & Delete people) & Manage your credit card & billing from one place should be the way to go. I don’t think we will be able to deliver this quickly, but that’s something that I’ll keep in the back of my head.

2. Agency Plan
I like the general idea for the agency plan, but we’ll need to validate if that’s something that we can replicate more broadly.

Thanks a lot for your feedback & idea; this helps a lot, and I’ll let you know as soon as we have news on those topics.

1 Like

This is being tracked as an open feature request.

If you have another use-case for this feature, you can 'Flag' this topic to reopen. Please use the :heart: button to show your support for the feature and check out our Feature Request Guidelines.

I'm genuinely surprised at the support this idea received internally, and yet it doesn't seem like any action has been made in over a year.

Any updates?

Even just simply having the ability to remove card details before handing over to clients would still be very well received.

Hi Dan,

A lot of these features are still being considered, and we were actually discussing some of these last weeks. The lack of movement here is down to priorities/resources management.

These improvements should hopefully become higher priorities in the future.

If/when the team has any updates on any of these, we'll update you here.

Thanks.

Hey Phil, thanks for the update.

Can we get some input from the Prismic team what are the high priorities from a product standpoint and how are these decided? From releases within the last 12-24 months, I can see that these are mainly related to Slice Machine, but tickets like this one (as well as other tickets mainly related to the writing dashboard which have been getting a lot of attention from members of this forum over the last couple of months) seem to be higher priorities from a customer/developer standpoint (and often the defining factor if they will go with Prismic or another headless CMS). Slice Machine is an amazing tool, but I've found that it's not really a sales point/consideration from a clients perspective.

Hi Kris,

So right now we are building teams in order to evolve our editor and backend. This is a process that is ongoing so there will not be massive changes on that front in the next 6-9 months.

We do have big plans for Slice Machine, and we are just starting with the fundamentals, although a lot of the work in Slice Machine leads in to the work we're planning for the editor. So this is our leading investment right now, and we will continue to deliver frequently on that front for the next months and years to come.

Thanks.

Any updates on this?

Hello @jordy,

Thanks for supporting this feature :slightly_smiling_face:

We don't have any current updates about this feature. We'll let everyone know if/when we ever do.

Thanks,
Racheal.