Prismic failed to copy hyperlinks in Slice Field during "Copy to another locale"

It was found that Prismic failed to copy hyperlinks in Slice Field during "Copy to another locale".

Hope this can be fixed soon :pray:

Hello @mak.seth, this is a limitation of the Copy to another locale action at the minute. The document won't re-add links to other documents in Slices when it's migrated from another locale. You'll need re-add these links in the new copies.

We have made the team aware of this limitation and hope to explore solutions, though they are not working on anything right now. If/when they have any updates on this, they'll update you here.

I have a dilemma. I want links to other Documents to be preserved when copying to another locale, falling back on the document on the main locale if it doesn't exist in the target locale.

1. Is there a way to do this?
  2. Is it possible to link to a document from another locale?

Visual example:

Main locale: en-US
Documents Exist, links fine.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 3.25.09 PM

Target Locale: fr-CA
First document exists in fr-CA, link correctly changes over.
Second document does not exist in fr-CA, link removed: Can this point to the en-US document instead? I would prefer to avoid using web hyperlinks if possible.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 3.25.31 PM

Target Locale: de-DE
Neither exists in de-DE, both links removed. Would prefer these links still point to main locale.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 3.25.21 PM

1. Any ideas or topics I missed in the docs?

Thank you!

Hello @michael.nguyen

Welcome to the Prismic Forum.

It's not possible to preserve linked documents in the target locale if the linked documents are not available there. As you discovered already, links are only preserved if documents exists in the target locale. But as you described it could be a great feature for future improvements. I’ll tag the @features-team so they can consider this for future improvements!

Thanks,
Priyanka

1 Like

Hi Priyanka,

I appreciate your response! Thanks for alerting the features team, I'll keep an eye out for possible updates.

Do you know any patterns that teams have used to work with this? For now, we'd just use direct web links, are there any other options?

Thanks for your time,
Michael

Hi @michael.nguyen
This is to inform you that we have created an issue in our tracker to have somebody from our dev team work on it.

1 Like

Hello everyone. If you run into this problem, you can try this workaround: