Rename or Remove Slices (Shared Slices) already pushed to prismic

Hi,

We saw in this thread (SliceMachine - Improvements for Dev-Workflow) that you haven't implemented yet the flow to delete or rename an slice that has been already pushed to Prismic.

Do you have an idea of when are you going to have this in place, we are in the developing process to include slices in the current project. This means that we already push slices that we don't want in our final solution and the same for some of them where we need to change the name.

We are using slice machine with storybook and Slice Machine to push the slices to prismic.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi Juan,

There's no ETA on when this will be implemented. We have begun discussing it more so if/when we have an update on the situation we'll update you here.

I'm reaching out to the team to get more info on this.

Thanks.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the update, we are looking forward on the release of this feature. Meanwhile I wonder if it is possible for you to - on a one time basis - remove a number of slices that we don't need. This allows us to start with a clean sheet before we actually release this on our end.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, when discussing the subject of renaming/removing slices can you also include into the discussion that the vue-essentials-library isn't always implemented. As far as I can tell there are always slices in the prismic repo in the tab "from slicemachine", but I have not included vue-essentials in my code as a slices library so I suppose they won't work then but can be chosen in the repo. It would be cleaner only to show the slices that are intended to be an available slice. Hope this adds to the discussion. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @esthersijbenga,

Welcome to the community!

This is a really good point, there are specific reasons that these Slices appear there for the moment, whether they are installed or not. Though I can see how this can make the screen cluttered and/or confusing if you don't have the library installed. In the future we would like it to behave as you've described, though it's not something we're working on at the moment.

I'm going to bring this up with the team and find out what exactly the future is for how this library will be presented. I'll update you here once I know more.

Thanks.

Hi Juan,
sorry for my late reply. Unfortunately I haven’t yet found a solution for this problem.
I’ll let you know as soon as I know more.
Thanks for reaching out to me.
Best regards
David

Thanks for the information David.

As a workaround we are working now with environments in prismic and when we saw that there is an error in the definition of the slice we resync the environment (with this action we remove all the shared slices) and then we can push them again.

Waiting for the final solution. thanks.

This is being tracked as an open feature request.

If you have another use-case for this feature, you can 'Flag' this topic to reopen. Please use the :heart: button to show your support for the feature and check out our Feature Request Guidelines.

Hi Everyone,

For now, you can use the Custom Types API to perform those actions:

This postman collection might help with testing that API:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi, my team is also having trouble deleting slice machine shared slice already pushed to prismic. We deleted it manually in the code but still shows up in the prismic shared slice library. Has there been and updates on this or should we still use the solution above from last year?

3 Likes

Hi Jehovany,

There has been no change, unfortunately, but it is on the team's radar. I'll reach out to them to get an update on the progress here.

Thanks.

Hey Everyone,

Just an update, the team will work on this functionality this quarter.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi everyone :wave:

Thanks for your valuable feedback concerning removing Slices!

:slight_smile: I am reaching out to invite you to our usability testing sessions.

The product team at Prismic is working on Custom Types deletion.

We’d love to understand your use case and get your feedback on few screens, in order to design this feature the best way possible for you.

:spiral_calendar: We are currently scheduling participants for these video feedback sessions.

If you’re interested, please book a slot to talk to us .

We will be kicking off our sessions next week. The session will be run through Google Meet and will take around 45 minutes to complete. As a thank you for your time, we'll provide you with an $35 USD gift card.

What to expect during the session:

• We will show you a design prototype for Custom Type deletion.
  • You’ll share your screen with us and talk us through how you’d expect to use this feature.
  • We’ll also ask you some questions based on the prototype and your particular use case.

Let me know if you have any questions!

2 Likes

Hi Mabel, great to see there's custom types deletion work being done. Is there a timeline for this to be released? If not we would love to be part of the feedback session if you still need testers!

1 Like

Hey @jehovany.cruz :wave:

Thanks for writing! We don't have an exact timeline for the release yet, but we are looking to get the feature out as soon as possible.

Regarding the study: Yes, we are currently still looking for participants!
You can sign up by booking a slot in Calendly.

Let me know if you can't find a time that suits you. We can figure something out manually.

– Mabel