Two Huge CDN Spikes – Any help / access to more detailed CDN usage reports?

Hey,

I’ve built a ton of websites for clients using Prismic, and normally the usage per month for each is quite small, I’d guess mostly around 5-10gb at the absolute max.

I have however ran into a weird issue with one of my client’s websites where we’ve been hit with two huge CDN spikes, 40gb one day, and 50gb in one day later in the week.

The stack we’re using is: Prismic > Gatsby > Netlify

On both of the days with the huge spikes, no new content was published via Prismic, so I can rule that out as a possibility.

We’re using a lot of embed fields to pull in content from Vimeo, but I assume that because we’re loading the videos directly from Vimeo that doesn’t affect our CDN usage?

I’m basically trying to figure out how to debug what’s happened so I can fix the issue.

I’m writing this from my personal account rather than from my client’s account, but I can give you the repository information.

Thanks!

Hi Kieran,

Welcome to the community!

I’ll be happy to help you debug this. Can you forward us the URLs for the effected repositories like you said?

Thanks.

Hey Phil,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, and for the welcome to the community, I appreciate it.

Here’s a link to the affected repository: https://parkvillage.prismic.io

Let me know if there’s any other information I can supply to help out.

Thanks!

Thanks. I’ll look in to this with the team and get back to you if we find anything or have any more questions.

Hey Kieran,

So the team looked in to this and for the 04 Aug 85% of the bandwidth usage is comin’ from a video:

https://parkvillage.cdn.prismic.io/parkvillage/5b32af70-0fb5-468b-9771-431e703866cf_PK_REEL_004_compressed.mp4

This video is loaded, on different urls like:
https://parkvillage.co.uk/directors/alexander-dunning https://parkvillage.co.uk/regina-sepp-1 https://parkvillage.co.uk/portfolio/bad-blood

The best thing would be to move this video to Vimeo like the other videos you are hosting.

Thanks.

Hey Phil,

Thanks for looking into this and getting back to me. After doing some more digging around myself as well that’s exactly where I thought the issue would be stemming from.

I’ll pass this onto my client and get them to swap out the links to load from Vimeo.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.