Be able to change names in media library

Feature Idea (one per thread):

be able to rename assets in the media library to facilitate maintenance, enforce nomenclature etc... Without having to reimport everything with correct naming

Issue that it solves:

facilitate a lot the asset library maintenance and ease of use.
To be honest, for all I love Prismic, feels like the media library is one of the part that would need the most TLC especially for non-dev to adopt the tool more.

3 Likes

Hey Josselin, welcome to the forum!

This is not something that we are currently working on because it's something we need to consider implementing well, as editing assets can affect a lot of documents and cause a lot of knock-on issues. Although we are considering a complete overhaul of media library. If/when we have more details about this we'll update you here. Thanks very much for the feedback, and if there's anything else you need let us know

Cheers!

This is being tracked as an open feature request.

If you have another use-case for this feature, you can 'Flag' this topic to reopen. Please use the :heart: button to show your support for the feature and check out our Feature Request Guidelines.

Would it be relatively easy to at least show the alt text or one of the existing fields in the media gallery? The problem right now is that if an image gets uploaded with a bad name there is no resources to make it identifiable in that grid except for deleting and re-uploading. Either using an existing field on the media or adding a new one would be a huge help. I'm confused why that would have "knock on" effects if it is a UI change only

Hey Wes,

Welcome to the community!

This is a great compromise for the above issue, thank you for sharing this idea.

The "knock on" effects discussed above are only related to changing the filename as this would necessitate any documents using the updated image to be republished. Your proposed solution of showing the alt text field would not suffer from this effect.

I have passed your idea to the team. Although this idea is not being worked on at the minute. If/when this ever changes the team will update you here.

Thanks.