Image URLs and SEO

I know the most recent topic here is also about image URLs for SEO but I would like to understand if there is any workaround to remove the hash that is added to all uploaded images.

This is a fundamental aspect of SEO, just search 'SEO image name', if nothing is possible then I don't understand how Prismic can be a viable platform for a website that is looking to rank organically.

Hi @frankie,

Thanks for raising this! (And welcome to the Prismic community forum!) You're not the first user to ask this question. It has come up before, and you're right — image URLs are definitely a ranking factor for search engines. There is currently no way to remove the hash. I've submitted a ticket to our dev team to see if there's anything we can do about this, and I'll let you know what they say.

In the meantime, Prismic images otherwise have very strong search engine optimizations. They are served with automatically optimized image format; we have built-in responsive sizing; we have built-in alt tag handling; and we serve images from Imgix's CDN, so they are very fast.

For the filename, there are some advanced workarounds possible, but I wouldn't recommend them, as they would require a lot of work for small gains. But, if you'd like to know more, let me know.

Sam

This is being tracked as an open feature request.

If you have another use-case for this feature, you can 'Flag' this topic to reopen. Please use the :heart: button to show your support for the feature and check out our Feature Request Guidelines.

I'd like to know about the "advanced workarounds" Sam has mentioned here. I need to know about these not because of SEO, but because my client insists on having the hashes removed. I'm willing to invest a lot of work into this, since the hashes are actually a dealbreaker for my client.

Hey @sws,

Thanks for this question, and welcome to the Prismic Community :slight_smile:

In the past, I've seen other users make their own image library using Integration FIelds. You could use any image hosting provider you want, like Imgix or Cloudinary, and write an API integration to send your images to a Prismic Integration Field. Then the content editors would select images from the Integration Field, rather than from the Image library. The user experience wouldn't be as good, but it would allow for more advanced control of your image delivery.

Here are the docs for Integration Fields.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Sam

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.