Search Images by name in Media Library

I have a need to be able to find specific images within my Media Library by filename. I would expect that if I search the full/exact filename in the Media Library search bar that the search would return that exact image. However when I try to do that it does not work. As a test, I can:

1. manually navigate to Media Details page for an image
  2. copy the filename
  3. navigate back to the Media Library
  4. paste the filename directly into the Media Library search bar
  5. no image results are returned

Are there any tips or tricks for getting this to work? Is there a different/better way for finding images by image name? I know that you can add notes/keywords to an image's Private Notes field which is searchable, but I always thought that the Prismic Media Library search also searched upon image names, and in my current use case adding notes to all of the images I need to find is not feasible.

1 Like

This is similar to:

Hey @colin.baxter!

Yes there's a default way of browsing images at the moment, and that is, by adding extra metadata to each media file:

Then, please have a look at the Search and browse your media. section in this article:

this is closed as not being supported but the documentation still specifically says it is: Browsing the Media Library | Prismic Help Center

Hi @scott2 & @colin.baxter ,

This is in fact a bug in the media library at the moment. We've discussed it previously here:

As you can see the search doesn't work consistently:
https://www.loom.com/share/72c9dcb310cc4e2aa06fa61d92f01966

We plan on doing maintenance to the media library in the future because of this issue and I can only apologise for the inconvenience this is causing in the time being. We will update everyone in the above thread if/when there is any update on this.

Right now the best workaround is to add keywords in the 'private notes' section which will work as tags.

Thanks.

Is this issue being resolved any time soon? Our clients have a large media library and having to visually navigate the entire library for a particular image is pretty painful. Most gallery tools offer multiple search options, a way to shrink down the size of the library (so you can scan the contents visually more quickly), or a drag-and-drop capability to quickly select recent photos. Are any of these features in the works?

Hi Ashwin,

There has been no movement on this yet. When the team will begin to look into this they will reach out to everyone here.

Thanks.

1 Like