More Rich Text Formatting Options?

Hello,

You should add basic HTML tags like <sup>, <sub>, <abbr> or <blockquote> in you rich text editor and not force us to use label (only configurable in JSON Editor by the way..) that allow us to use css class instead of HTML element that have potentially a semantic purpose (think about accessibility for example).
CSS cannot replace the semantic purpose of some HTML element. And We cannot ask to our marketing team to enter content in HTML by working around the prismic rich text limitation and using only PRE option.
You need to propose a real rich text editor, you saying in you article that

you can customize the structured text with whatever formatting options you need

But it is not true it has more limitation unless you add more formatting option and labels should not be the only answer to this need.

4 Likes

It's now June 2023 and I'm seeing Phil mentioning that the Prismic team wanting to overhaul the rich text editor as far back as October 2020. At this point in June 2023, there still is no way to assign a color to a part of the text or being able to apply multiple labels. Also, setting up the labels that are available can still only be done via JSON and not in slicemachine. It's pretty ridiculous that it's been over 3 years and it sounds like not much has changed at all. I feel like I'm wasting my time even typing all this as I'm seriously losing faith in the Prismic team to create a quality product. It's a seriously frustrating developer experience!

4 Likes

Hopefully we can see this come to fruition soon! I now struggle with an issue where adding/updating fields in slice will wipe custom labels from model.json

same here :(

Hi Team,

Our new page builder has been in development for a while now, and we're happy to tell you it's now in Alpha :slight_smile: :tada:

Although, for now, more rich text formatting options are not yet available, once the new builder is fully released, it will give us the flexibility to quickly iterate and add new features based on feedback from users like you.

You can read about the page builder in the link below.

BUT PLEASE BE WARNED:
The page builder is still in ALPHA, so there are some features that are not ready (PLEASE CHECK THE LIST).

Join the waitlist to try Prismic's new Page Builder to edit your website.

1 Like

The new page builder has been generally released now, and labels (as defined here: Rich Text - Documentation - Prismic) are not available. We need this feature in our team, what is the ETA ? And it feels rushed to push through the new editor when it's missing features the old one had !

Hi @jonathan.loss ,

You're certainly not alone in lamenting the lack of feature parity. If the tags are as essential as you say they are, perhaps it's time to request to be put back on the legacy editor until such time as the page builder has the features you need. What do you think?

I understand you feel pushed, but the good news is you can opt out and go back to the way things used to be until such time as you're ready to change.

Being a huge nerd, I don't mind getting to play with the new toys. I've adapted my projects to not need the tags. I may go back to including them when that feature is back. Until then, the projects that use tags, I just switch to legacy when/if needed.

Be well!

-Neil

Hi Jonathan,

The team is currently working to integrate this feature into the new builder.

We're looking at an ETA of a few weeks for release. I'll keep you updated :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi team, I just wanted to let you know that custom labels are now available in the Page Builder :)

Cheers,
Guy

4 Likes

Why aren’t there more hearts on this?

1 Like

Great news, Thanks for your very quick update !

1 Like

Thank you so much for this update! Makes our life easier :slight_smile:

Unfortunately it acts a little bit buggy on the UI side, if you have a lot of custom labels the view keeps scrolling up and down and then closing the dropdown, automatically selecting some other label... it takes a few tries to get it do to what I need:

2024-03-08 12.09.20

Apologies if this is not the right place to report such bugs but if there is a specific place for that could you point me in the right direction to report this issue?

@dmakos this is the right place. Thanks for letting us know. Would you mind sharing the name of the repo where this is happening ?

Thank you for the prompt response, I have sent you PM with a bit more details and my repo name.