More Rich Text Formatting Options?

Are there any plans to support more WYSIWYG formatting options like subscript, superscript, strikethrough, underline, blockquote, etc?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @jerry.nummi, there are not any plans currently to add these sorts of formatting options to the Rich Text editor by default, sorry.

That being said, there is a way to add these sorts of custom formatting options using Rich Text labels. Here is an article that explains how to do this:

labels won’t work for adding superscript within a paragraph or bold tag. Maybe if you wanted the entire rich text block to be superscript… but that’s a really weird usecase.

My way around this is to use a pre tag in the richtext editor, and then just write custom html.

It would be a lot cooler if there was a pre editor that could be content aware and give a VSCode editor that is content aware…
we could then write markdown or html or javascript or whatever.

Rich Text labels don’t have to be applied to an entire block of text, you can apply them to any part of a paragraph, for example. Have you given it a try yet to see if it will work for you?

please add this feature! it’s really annoying for our content creators that they can’t use subscript! :confused:

1 Like

Hi @rrkuepper, sorry that I wasn't clear. You have the ability to use subscript, superscript, strikethrough, or any other custom styling option using Rich Text labels. Here is an article that explains how to do this:

1 Like

Got it working, thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 9.02.52 AM

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 9.03.10 AM

2 Likes

@Phil, please when you guys work on the editor, you guys should include common Html elements such as code, abbreviation, and time. This gives us better SEO effects than the use of labels which basically renders span elements with class names :rage:

I do like Prismic, at least, but it looks like issues take time to get resolved by the team. This is not impressive.

7 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Harrison, this extra information for your use case is really helpful.

I’ve passed this extra information to the product team who will take it in to consideration when they begin changes on the editor.

The best way to model your custom types in Prismic so that your can use proper html code & quote tags would be to create unique Slices for each one of those use cases. In each Slice you will have a key text field and you can send that data to pre-configured components in your project which will render the data in the correct tags.

Alternatively you can create a custom html field to add the full HTML tags.

If/when the team release any changes to the editor they will update you here.

Hello Phil, while I can go on and create lots of slices, which I am very ok with, Prismic still does not help. The graphql api of prismic does not allow post requests, it only allows get requests. If one is not careful in the use of slices, he ends up hitting 413 error from prismic nginx server, due to too much graphql fragments in the query parameter.

This is the most annoying thing about prismic and the thing i fear most. Because someday, i might not be able to scale my platform due to this issue. I have used prismic on two projects now and I keep hoping that you guys will soon support post requests on your graphql api, just like every other server.

I will create a separate ticket for this. It is a big problem. Massive one.

Hello,

I had a similar problem which I expressed here and this thread resolved nicely. Thanks Phil!

However, labels are still very limiting. What if I want to add more than one label to the same text? What about coloring text? What about font family? There could be hundreds of colors and font families, and then if I want to combine them...

Hey again Gibran,

I agree the limits of labels especially when it comes to more than one label on a string isn't ideal and is why we want to overhaul the rich text editor.

Although I'm not sure if having default selections for hundreds of colors and fonts is something that we plan to implement. We recommend styling such as this to be implemented in the CSS of your project. Though I would have to see what the @features-team would say about this.

This issue has been closed due to inactivity. Flag to reopen.

Hey there! I don't really understand the conversation in this forum but I'm hoping someone here can help! I want to underline some text in my Rich Text Area but I can't find the option for this? Underline is super common and basic so I thought it would be enabled by default? For reference here is what I have enabled on the Rich Text.

Hi Team,

To add extra styling properties you can add rich text labels which wrap the text in a <span> tag that includes a CSS class, you can then add style for that class like underlining in your case:

The team is aware of the requests for more built-in rich text formatting options and plan to integrate them once we overhaul the rich text editor. There are no ETAs for when that will happen right now though.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hey, Phil! Am I right in thinking that the recent updates to rich text still don't support blockquote styling, and that the Prismic team recommends creating a blockquote slice? IIRC, the suggestion to use labels didn't work (or wasn't advised) for blockquote styling, specifically. I'm really hoping that the rich text overhaul clears a path (or sets a foundation) for native, inline blockquote support. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Hi Dan,

There haven't been any recent updates to the rich text editor, so as you suggested the best option is still to use a Slice. Also yes the Rich Text Labels option doesn't serve the purpose of adding HTML tags around text. More formatting options, including native inline blockquote support, is in the editor teams path. Although, this work will likely begin in the second half of this year.

Thanks.

1 Like